How Do Variables and Constants Differ in Mathematics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between variables and constants, with the understanding that x can change but a remains a fixed value. It also touches on the scope of variables and constants in mathematics and computer programming, and how they can sometimes overlap. The conversation concludes with a clarification that in the context of a problem, a is considered a constant and does not change.
rahaverhma
There are 2 things taught to us:variables(litersls ) and constants .
If we let a value 'a' as a constant ,meaning it would remain unchanged and also it is a set of real numbers .
If we take 'x' as a variable, meaning it can change and it is also a set of real nos.
For ex. Lim (x>a) x = a ,a:fixed value ,any value from end to end, but still it is not getting clear to me about 'x'?? If it does change then w.r.t to what ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A constant can also be arbitrary where ever I take it.

rahaverhma said:
A constant can also be arbitrary where ever I take it.

Yes but for purposes of the problem it doesn't change.

It's like keeping y constant but varying x to produce a horizontal line on a graph.

Can I say : a constant can be a variable but a variable can not be a constant.

rahaverhma said:

It may be impossible to give a precise mathematical definition of a "variable" unless we are dealing with the abstractions of formal languages - such as the languages used to write computer programs. In writing about mathematics using English (or other natural languages) there are only informal and intuitive notions for the meaning of a "variable".

When we use symbols to represent "variables" , the variables have a "scope". For example, "x" on the top of a page in a textbook may not represent the same thing as "x" on the bottom of the page or as the "x" on a different page. If you have studied computer programming, you have seen that variables have a well defined "scope". A variable "X" in one function of a computer program may have a scope limited to the code in that function. It need have nothing to do with an "X" in some other code that is involved in the program. In writing mathematics, variables have a limited scope, but setting the boundaries for that scope is often done in an informal fashion.

Variables in computer programs can have "nested" scopes For example , the variable "X" might be introduced in one section of code and within that section there might be another section that introduces a variable "Y". The same situation can happen in writing mathematical discussions in English.

You are correct that there is a similarity in the way "constants" and "variables" are treated in writing mathematics. Technically, "constants" represented by symbols such as "C" can indeed be used as "variables".

An example of a mathematical claim is:

For each real number C {
For each real valued function f(x), if f(x) is the function defined by f(x)= Cx then f'(x) = C
}

However, the way this is typically expressed in English does not make the scope of the variables so clear. Typically we might write this as:

Let C be an arbitrary constant. If f(x) = Cx then f'(x) = C.

So we use the jargon "Let C be an arbitrary constant" to establish that we are introducing a variable "C" whose "scope" encompasses the use of the other variables "f(x)" and "x". Within that scope, we don't make other uses of the symbol "C" to represent something that changes its value as a function of "f(x)" or "x".

rahaverhma said:

You're missing the operational phrase "for the purposes of the problem it doesn't change" meaning the 'a' constant doesn't change. It has a fixed value whatever it may be. The variable 'x' is the unknown in the problem which varies when working with a limit or may just be some unknown value you must discover using mathematical operations.

You would agree if 'a' was set to some value like 3 then 3 is a constant right? Well by using 'a' I can solve the same problem in a more general sense so that the 'x' answer I find is dependent on the 'a' value. The 'a' value represents all constants in the problem.

Hence: "For the purposes of the problem" the 'a' value is constant, it doesn't change.

rahaverhma said:
There are 2 things taught to us:variables(litersls ) and constants .
I assume you meant "literals". This is terminology that is used in programming languages, so I'm going to assume that's the context of your question.
Literals, in the programming and computer science sense are NOT variables. A literal is an expression with a fixed value, such as the character 'b', the numbers 5 and 3.2, the string of characters "Tuesday", and so on.
In the programming context, a variable is a named specific region in memory that can hold a value of some kind. In the mathematical sense, a variable is something that can hold a numeric value.
rahaverhma said:
If we let a value 'a' as a constant ,meaning it would remain unchanged and also it is a set of real numbers .
No. A constant is not a set of real numbers. The value of the constant could come from the real numbers, but it would be only one real number, not a set of real numbers.
rahaverhma said:
If we take 'x' as a variable, meaning it can change and it is also a set of real nos.
Again, no. x can take on a single value, but as a variable, its value is generally not known until we solve for it.
rahaverhma said:
For ex. Lim (x>a) x = a ,a:fixed value ,any value from end to end, but still it is not getting clear to me about 'x'?? If it does change then w.r.t to what ?
It should be fairly obvious that ##\lim_{x \to a} x = a##. In other words, if x takes on values ever closer to a, then x will get closer and closer to a.

A better example would be one that is not so obvious, such as ##\lim_{x \to 0} \frac {\sin(x)} x##. The closer x is to 0, the closer the expression ##\frac{\sin(x)} x## is to 1.
rahaverhma said:
No.
A constant is fixed, at least for the purposes of the problem, as @jedishrfu said. The value of a variable can change.

Last edited:

Related to How Do Variables and Constants Differ in Mathematics?

What is the definition of a variable?

A variable is a symbol or name that represents a value in a mathematical or scientific equation or experiment. It can be manipulated or changed to affect the outcome of the equation or experiment.

Why are variables important in science?

Variables are important in science because they allow us to control and measure the different factors that can affect the outcome of an experiment. By changing and manipulating variables, we can determine cause and effect relationships and make conclusions about the natural world.

What are the different types of variables in science?

The three main types of variables in science are independent, dependent, and controlled variables. Independent variables are manipulated or changed by the scientist, while dependent variables are affected by the changes in the independent variable. Controlled variables are kept constant throughout the experiment to ensure that the only factor affecting the outcome is the independent variable.

How do you identify variables in an experiment?

To identify variables in an experiment, you need to determine what is being changed or manipulated, what is being measured or observed, and what is being kept constant. The manipulated variable is the independent variable, the measured variable is the dependent variable, and the constant variables are controlled variables.

Why is it important to use clear and specific variables in an experiment?

Using clear and specific variables in an experiment is important because it helps ensure that the results are accurate and reliable. If variables are not clearly defined, it can lead to confusion and potentially affect the outcome of the experiment. Additionally, using specific variables allows for easier replication of the experiment by other scientists.