How do we apply the proposition?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apply
In summary: From the maximum principle, we get that either the maximum is achieved at the boundary and so it is equal to $0$ or the function is constant. Right? So don't we get that $w-H_B[w] \leq 0$?
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I am reading the proof that if the function $v$ is subharmonic in $\Omega$ then $ H_{B_0}[v]$ is also subharmonic in $\Omega$.

($B_0 $ is a ball in $\Omega$)

(We say that the function $v$ is subharmonic in $\Omega$ if for every ball $B \subset \Omega$ it holds that $v \leq H_B[v]$.)

$H_B[v]$ is defined as follows:

$$\\v(x) \in C^0(\Omega), B \subset \Omega \text{ arbitrary ball} \\ \\
H_B[v]=\left\{\begin{matrix}
\text{harmonic for } & x \in B\\
v \text{ for } & x \in \Omega \setminus{B}
\end{matrix}\right.$$

We have to show that for each ball $B\subset \Omega $ it holds that $w \leq H_B[w]$ where $w=H_{B_0}[v]$.

So we compare the functions
$ w(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
\text{ harmonic} & , x \in B_0\\
v & , x \in \Omega \setminus{B_0}
\end{matrix}\right.$

and$H_B[w](x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
\text{ harmonic } & , x \in B\\
w & , x \in \Omega \setminus{B}
\end{matrix}\right.$

where $v$ is a subharmonic function.

We distinguish cases.At the case $ B_0 \subset B $:

in $\Omega \setminus{B}$ we have that $ H_B[w]=H_{B_0}[v]$.

In $B$ we have that $H_B[w]$ is harmonic and $w$ is subharmonic (since $w$ is harmonic in $B_0$ and $w=v$ in $B\setminus{B_0}$, so it is subharmonic).

So we have that $ w-H_B[w]$ is subharmonic, and so

$ w-H_B[w]|_{\partial{B}}=0 \Rightarrow w-H_B|_B=0 $

We get this from the proposition $(\star)$.

$(\star)$: The subharmonic in $\Omega$ function does not achieve its maximum in the inner points of $\Omega$ if it is not constant.We apply the proposition for $\Omega=B$. But do we have an inner point of $B$ in which $w-H_B[w]$ achieves its maximum, in order to come to the conclusion that $w-H_B|_B=0 $? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
We apply the proposition for $\Omega=B$. But do we have an inner point of $B$ in which $w-H_B[w]$ achieves its maximum, in order to come to the conclusion that $w-H_B|_B=0 $? (Thinking)

Hey evinda! (Smile)

If there would be a maximum in an inner point of $B$, it follows that $w-H_B[w]$ is constant, and since it's zero at the boundary, that maximum would be $0$.
Still, I don't get it yet, because it seems to me there could still be a minimum that is less than $0$. :confused:

In order to apply the proposition don't we need an additional inequality for $w-H_B[w]$ if we are not given that the maximum or minimum is achieved at an internal point? (Sweating)

In some other notes, there is the following proof:

• $B \cap B_0=\varnothing$

$$H_B[w]|_{\partial{B}}=w|_{\partial{B}} \Rightarrow H_B[w]=w \text{ in } B$$

(2 harmonic functions are equal at the boundary and so they are equal at the whole space)My question about this: How can we use the proposition above although the functions $w$ and $H_B[w]$ are harmonic in different spaces?
  • $B \subset B_0$: in $\Omega \subset B$ we have $H_B[w]=H_{B_0}[v]$
    in $B$ we have that $H_B[w], H_{B_0}[v]$ are harmonic
    in $\partial{B}$ $H_B[w] \geq H_{B_0}[v]$In this case, I think that we have $H_{B}[w]=w$ in $\partial{\Omega}$. Am I wrong?
  • $B \not\subset B_0$ and $B \cap B_0 \neq \varnothing$

if $x \in B \setminus{B_0}$ we have that $w=H_{B_0}[v]=v \leq H_B[v] \leq H_B[w]$

if $x \in B \cap B_0$ we have that $w$ and $H_B[w]$ are harmonic
    in $\partial{B \cap B_0}$ it holds that $w \leq H_B[w] \Rightarrow w \leq H_B[w]$ in $B \cap B_0$Why do we have that in $\partial{B \cap B_0}$ it holds that $w \leq H_B[w] $ ?
  • $x \in \Omega \setminus{ B \cup B_0}$: $w=H_B[w]$

Do we get this from the definition of $H_B[w]$?

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

If there would be a maximum in an inner point of $B$, it follows that $w-H_B[w]$ is constant, and since it's zero at the boundary, that maximum would be $0$.
Still, I don't get it yet, because it seems to me there could still be a minimum that is less than $0$. :confused:

From the maximum prinviple, we get that either the maximum is achieved at the boundary and so it is equal to $0$ or the function is constant. Right?

So don't we get that $w-H_B[w] \leq 0$? (Thinking)

Related to How do we apply the proposition?

1. How do we determine the validity of the proposition?

The validity of a proposition can be determined through rigorous scientific testing and experimentation. This involves creating a hypothesis, designing experiments to test the hypothesis, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the results.

2. How do we apply the proposition in real-world situations?

The application of a proposition depends on its specific subject and context. It may involve developing new technologies, implementing policies, or making informed decisions based on the proposition's findings. Scientists can work with other professionals in relevant fields to apply the proposition effectively.

3. How do we ensure the accuracy of the proposition?

To ensure the accuracy of a proposition, scientists use rigorous research methods and peer-review processes. This involves replicating experiments, analyzing data using statistical methods, and having other experts in the field review and critique the proposition before it is accepted as a scientific fact.

4. How do we communicate the findings of the proposition?

The findings of a proposition can be communicated through scientific publications, conferences, and presentations. Scientists also collaborate with media outlets and other communication platforms to share their findings with the general public.

5. How do we adapt the proposition as new information becomes available?

As new information and discoveries are made, scientists may need to adapt the proposition to incorporate these changes. This can be done through further research and experimentation, and by updating and revising the original proposition with new findings.