How Do We Calculate the Kinetic Energy of Gases in Stars?

In summary, using the average kinetic energy, Wien's Law dictates that the wavelength of maximum intensity of radiation is proportional to the absolute temperature of the star.
Piano man
Hi,

I have a conceptual and mathematical question about gases in stars.
The information we have from stars is due to the motion of particles in one dimension: along our line of sight.
We assume that this motion is isotropic and that regardless of where on the star we look, we'll get the same motion.
So, when calculating the temperature of the star's chromosphere, do we use the one dimensional kinetic energy E=1/2kT, the three-dimensional kinetic energy E=3/2kT or the average kinetic energy E=kT to equate to 1/2mv^2, where v is the one dimensional velocity?

(Note to mods: I posted this question in the Astrophysics section earlier today, but after 130 views with no replies, I think I may get a better response in this subforum. I know spread-posting is frowned upon but I do not intend to troll!)

Physics news on Phys.org
We see the photons which arrive from the stars, and these photons are radiated out by the atoms (molecules, ions) of the chromosphere. The particles have rotational, vibrational and electronic degrees of freedom. The visible, UV and higher frequency radiation originates from the transition between the electronic states of the particles. We get information about the temperature of the stars from the frequency distribution of their radiation.
Read about "black body radiation". http://www.egglescliffe.org.uk/physics/astronomy/blackbody/bbody.html
The wavelength of maximum intensity of radiation is proportional to the absolute temperature of the star, according to Wien's Law.

ehild

Thank you.
I should have said that I was working with velocities and temperatures of chromospheric winds, not just the temperature of the chromosphere. The wind would be anisotropic, as it is being ejected from the star, but the turbulent velocity of the particles within the wind would be isotropic.
So how does that effect my original question?

I see. I do not know if those stellar winds are isotropic or not. The star can have magnetic field and I think it has its effect. I guess the velocity distribution in the chromosphere is described by the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, but the particles lose energy when escaping the star. ehild

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. I would like to clarify that the kinetic energy of gases in stars is a complex and multi-dimensional concept, and there is no one definitive answer to your question. However, I will do my best to provide a response based on current scientific understanding.

First, it is important to note that the motion of particles in stars is not solely limited to one dimension. While we may only observe the motion along our line of sight, the particles are actually moving in three dimensions. Therefore, it would be more accurate to use the three-dimensional kinetic energy equation (E=3/2kT) to calculate the temperature of the star's chromosphere.

However, it is also important to consider the concept of equipartition of energy, which states that in a system in thermal equilibrium, the average kinetic energy per degree of freedom is equal to 1/2kT. In this case, the average kinetic energy (E=kT) would also be a valid equation to use in calculating the temperature of the star's chromosphere.

In conclusion, both the three-dimensional kinetic energy and the average kinetic energy equations are valid for calculating the temperature of the star's chromosphere. Which one to use would depend on the specific context and assumptions of the situation. It is always important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of any mathematical equation used in scientific calculations. I hope this helps clarify your question.

Related to How Do We Calculate the Kinetic Energy of Gases in Stars?

1. What is the kinetic energy of gases in stars?

The kinetic energy of gases in stars refers to the energy that is associated with the movement of the gas particles within the star. This energy is a result of the high temperatures and pressures within the star, which cause the gas particles to move at extremely high speeds.

2. How does the kinetic energy of gases affect the life cycle of a star?

The kinetic energy of gases plays a crucial role in the life cycle of a star. It is responsible for maintaining the high temperatures and pressures necessary for nuclear fusion to occur, which is what powers a star. As the star ages and runs out of fuel, the decrease in kinetic energy leads to a decrease in fusion reactions, ultimately resulting in the death of the star.

3. How is the kinetic energy of gases in stars related to their temperature?

The kinetic energy of gases in stars is directly related to their temperature. As the temperature of a star increases, so does the average speed of its gas particles, resulting in a higher kinetic energy. This is why the hottest stars are also the most energetic and luminous.

4. Can the kinetic energy of gases in a star be measured?

Yes, the kinetic energy of gases in a star can be measured using various techniques, such as spectroscopy and observations of the star's movements. These measurements can provide valuable information about the star's composition, temperature, and other properties.

5. How does the kinetic energy of gases in stars differ from that of other celestial objects?

The kinetic energy of gases in stars is much higher than that of other celestial objects, such as planets or moons. This is because stars have much higher temperatures and pressures, resulting in faster-moving gas particles. Additionally, the kinetic energy of gases in stars is constantly changing due to the ongoing nuclear fusion reactions within the star, whereas other objects do not experience these intense energy-producing processes.