How do we define and calculate divergence in vector fields?

• Thread starter Urmi Roy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curl
In summary: This last piece of the proof is still not clear to me. Could anyone explain this in simpler terms?In summary, the concept of divergence is the flux per unit volume at a particular point and can be defined as the derivative of the net flow of a vector field across the surface of a small region relative to the volume of the region. However, this definition can lead to confusion and it may be more useful to think of divergence as the volume density of flux. The formulation of divergence using the del operator does not explicitly include volume, but it can be thought of as a measure of the expansion of a vector field at a point. Divergence can also be calculated by summing the partial derivatives of a vector field in each direction.
Please forgive me for extending even further...just my last two questions..

1. When we calculate curl,we reduce the area over which the path integral is being integrated to a single point--however,due to this, the magnitude of curl should always be very small,as the path integral over an area as small al that would be near to zero!
Am I saying something wrong?

2.Direction of curl is defined as the direction of maximum rotation...what doe the 'maximum' imply?

Physics news on Phys.org
Urmi Roy said:
1. When we calculate curl,we reduce the area over which the path integral is being integrated to a single point--however,due to this, the magnitude of curl should always be very small,as the path integral over an area as small al that would be near to zero!

But you divide by the (near-zero) area as well. This is similar to how the derivative is defined. The difference f(x+h)-f(x) will also be nearly zero (for continuous functions) as h goes to zero, but you divide by h, and so you get something else for the limit.