How do we evaluate the double integral with $15x^2$ inside and all the R values?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a double integral problem with the function $15x^2$. The correct order of integration is determined and the limits of integration are calculated using the given function. The integrand represents the volume of a 3-dimensional object and the conversation then progresses to the next step of finding the values of y to use.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
ok just seeing if I have this set up correctly before evaluate..

View attachment 7256
where does $15x^2$ come from?
if $15x^2$ is inside this why would we need all the R values

Attachments

• mhb15.2.51.PNG
    mhb15.2.51.PNG
    10 KB · Views: 71
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: 15.2.51 double integral

You have the order of integration correct, at least if you want to state the volume as one iterated integral. Your limits of integration aren't correct though. You are using horizontal strips, and so you want the lower limit to lie on the line:

\(\displaystyle y=2x+4\)

But, you want the $x$-value here, so you want to solve for $x$, to obtain:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{y-4}{2}\)

The upper limit lies on the curve:

\(\displaystyle y=x^3\implies x=y^{\frac{1}{3}}\)

And thus, we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{y-4}{2}\le x\le y^{\frac{1}{3}}\)

Your limits for the outer integral are correct, thus we have:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^8\int_{\frac{y-4}{2}}^{y^{\frac{1}{3}}} 15x^2\,dx\,dy\)

The integrand $15x^2$ was given, and it represents a $z$-value. Since the integrand is non-negative over $R$, you can think of this iterated integral as representing the volume of a 3-dimensional object. The integrand here tells you how high the object extends above the $xy$-plane.

ok next step !
$\displaystyle I=\int_0^8\int_{\frac{y-4}{2}}^{y^{\frac{1}{3}}} 15x^2\,dx\,dy $
so then
$\displaystyle\int_0^8 \int_{{(y-4)}/2}^{y^{1/3}} 15x^2\,dx \,dy
=\int_0^8\left|5x^3\large\right|_{x={(y-4)}/2}^{x=y^{1/3}} \,dy$
so what values of y do we use 0 and 8?

Last edited:

Okay we have:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^8\int_{\frac{y-4}{2}}^{y^{\frac{1}{3}}} 15x^2\,dx\,dy\)

I would next write:

\(\displaystyle I=5\int_0^8 \left[x^3\right]_{\frac{y-4}{2}}^{y^{\frac{1}{3}}}\,dy=5\int_0^8 \left(y^{\frac{1}{3}}\right)^3-\left(\frac{y-4}{2}\right)^3\,dy=\frac{5}{8}\int_0^8 8y-(y-4)^3\,dy\)

Now you can either expand the cubed binomial in the integrand, or you can can integrate the two terms in the integrand separately. I would likely choose the latter. :)

FAQ: How do we evaluate the double integral with $15x^2$ inside and all the R values?

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integration that involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region. It represents the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

2. What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in one dimension, while a double integral is used to find the volume under a surface in two dimensions.

3. How do you evaluate a double integral?

To evaluate a double integral, you need to first determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use various techniques such as iterated integration, polar coordinates, or change of variables to solve the integral.

4. What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of an object, as well as to solve problems involving volumes, surface area, and work.

5. Can a double integral be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, a double integral can be extended to triple integrals for three-dimensional regions, and even further to n-fold integrals for n-dimensional regions. These higher-dimensional integrals have important applications in fields such as calculus, physics, and statistics.