How do we formalize the following:For all natural Nos :

• Thread starter solakis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Natural
In summary: The problem with my proof as it stands is that it's not a formal proof. A formal proof is a type of proof where you use formulas and the laws of logic to derive the conclusions of the proof. This proof does not use formulas and the laws of logic, so it is not a formal proof.
solakis
How do we formalize the following:

For all natural Nos : [itex]n^2[/itex] is even[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] n is even

Physics news on Phys.org

Here's one way:

[tex](\forall n \in \mathbb{N})[((\exists p \in \mathbb{N})[n^2=2p])\Rightarrow((\exists q\in \mathbb{N})[n=2q])].[/tex]

Here's another:

[tex]\left \{ n \in \mathbb{N} \; | \; (\exists p \in \mathbb{N})[n^2 = 2p] \right \} \subseteq \left \{ n \in \mathbb{N} \; | \; (\exists q \in \mathbb{N})[n=2q] \right \}.[/tex]

The symbol [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex], like the name "the natural numbers", is ambiguous, so you might want to specify whether you mean the positive integers, [itex]\mathbb{N}_1=\mathbb{Z}_+ = \left \{ 1,2,3,... \right \}[/itex], or the non-negative integers, [itex]\mathbb{N}_0 =\mathbb{Z}_+ \cup \left \{ 0 \right \}=0,1,2,3,...[/itex].

Rasalhague said:
Here's one way:

[tex](\forall n \in \mathbb{N})[((\exists p \in \mathbb{N})[n^2=2p])\Rightarrow((\exists q\in \mathbb{N})[n=2q])].[/tex]

Here's another:

[tex]\left \{ n \in \mathbb{N} \; | \; (\exists p \in \mathbb{N})[n^2 = 2p] \right \} \subseteq \left \{ n \in \mathbb{N} \; | \; (\exists q \in \mathbb{N})[n=2q] \right \}.[/tex]

The symbol [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex], like the name "the natural numbers", is ambiguous, so you might want to specify whether you mean the positive integers, [itex]\mathbb{N}_1=\mathbb{Z}_+ = \left \{ 1,2,3,... \right \}[/itex], or the non-negative integers, [itex]\mathbb{N}_0 =\mathbb{Z}_+ \cup \left \{ 0 \right \}=0,1,2,3,...[/itex].

Thank you ,i think the first formula is the more suitable to use in formalized mathematics.

The question now is how do we prove this formula in formalized mathematics

[tex]1. \enspace (\exists p \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n^2 = 2p][/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow ((\exists a \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n=2a]) \vee ((\exists b \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n=2b+1]).[/tex]

[tex]2. \enspace (\exists b \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n=2b+1])[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow (\exists q \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n^2=(2b+1)^2=4b^2+4b+1=2q+1][/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \neg (\exists p \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n^2 = 2p].[/tex]

[tex]3. \enspace\therefore ((\exists p \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n^2 = 2p]) \Rightarrow (\exists a \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n=2a] \enspace\enspace \blacksquare[/tex]

Or, to see the argument clearer, let [itex]A = (\exists a \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n=2a][/itex] and let [itex]B = (\exists b \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n=2b+1],[/itex] and suppose [itex](\exists p \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n^2 = 2p][/itex]. Then [itex]A \vee B.[/itex] But [itex]\neg B.[/itex] So [itex]A.[/itex]

Rasalhague said:
[tex]1. \enspace (\exists p \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n^2 = 2p][/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow ((\exists a \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n=2a]) \vee ((\exists b \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n=2b+1]).[/tex]

[tex]2. \enspace (\exists b \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n=2b+1])[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow (\exists q \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n^2=(2b+1)^2=4b^2+4b+1=2q+1][/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \neg (\exists p \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n^2 = 2p].[/tex]

[tex]3. \enspace\therefore ((\exists p \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n^2 = 2p]) \Rightarrow (\exists a \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n=2a] \enspace\enspace \blacksquare[/tex]

Or, to see the argument clearer, let [itex]A = (\exists a \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n=2a][/itex] and let [itex]B = (\exists b \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n=2b+1],[/itex] and suppose [itex](\exists p \in \mathbb{N}_0)[n^2 = 2p][/itex]. Then [itex]A \vee B.[/itex] But [itex]\neg B.[/itex] So [itex]A.[/itex]

I think to change the variables inside the existential quantifier without dropping it first it is not allowed by logic.

Also it becomes confusing and impossible to follow.

I also wander is necessarily a formalized proof also a formal one??

Or to put in a better way is it possible to have a proof like the one above ,where one uses only formulas , without mentioning the laws of logic and the theorems upon which these laws act to give us the formalized conclusions of the above proof??

Simple answer: I don't know. I'm curious. I hope someone better informed can give say more about this. Seems like it would at least be a good idea to make explicit which statements and which rules of inference are used in each line; so, we could append to the final line: / 1,2,DS. (Disjunctive syllogism.) I could be mistaken but here is what looks like an example of someone using formal and formalized as synonyms: http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0410224

A problem with my proof as it stands: a full, formal proof would have to justify the assumption that natural numbers are odd or even but not both.

I don't see what the problem is with substitution. Maybe you could elaborate?

FAQ: How do we formalize the following:For all natural Nos :

1. How do we define "formalize" in this context?

In this context, "formalize" means to express or represent something in a precise and structured manner, using mathematical or logical symbols and rules.

2. What does "natural Nos" refer to?

"Natural Nos" refers to natural numbers, which are positive integers (1, 2, 3, etc.) that are used for counting and ordering.

3. What is the meaning of "For all" in this statement?

"For all" indicates that the following statement applies to every natural number, without exception.

4. How do we express "For all natural Nos" in formal notation?

The formal notation for "For all natural Nos" is ∀ n ∈ ℕ, where n represents a natural number and ℕ represents the set of natural numbers.

5. Can you give an example of formalizing "For all natural Nos"?

One example of formalizing "For all natural Nos" is the statement "For all natural numbers n, n + 1 > n." This can be expressed in formal notation as ∀ n ∈ ℕ, n + 1 > n.