How Do You Account for Member Weights in Crane Boom Statics Calculations?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the resultant internal loadings and joint reactions on a suspended engine from a crane boom. The person is unsure about the weight of members CD and AB and has added the weight of AB to their calculations. The conversation also mentions a picture of the boom and equations for moment and forces in the Y direction. However, it is not clear what the reaction at point E refers to. The solution involves determining the applied loads and reactions at points A, C, and D.
BlueBeast
The 6575-lb engine is suspended from the crane boom. Assume the initial weight of members CD and AB to be 10lb/ft and 50lb/ft.

Determine the resultant internal loadings acting on the cross section of the boom at point E. Also, find the joint reactions at A, C and D.

So far I solve for the reactions at E. I am not sure what to do with the weight of members CD and AB. For now I have just added the weight of AB onto the end of my moment and Forces in the Y direction equations.
Is this correct?

Attached is my work and a picture of the boom.

gravity = 32.2
1. Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not clear what you mean by the reaction at E.

You are given the weights of both the crane boom and the diagonal support.
Figure out where these loads are applied, then determine what the reactions are at
points A, C,and D.

I don'

Last edited:
Post mangled beyond recognition by forces unknown.

Original question material removed.

Recommend termination of thread.

I would first clarify the problem to ensure that the initial weights of members CD and AB are indeed meant to be included in the calculations. This is important because it could significantly affect the resultant internal loadings and joint reactions. If the weights are meant to be included, then your approach of including them in the moment and forces equations is correct.

However, if the weights are not meant to be included, then they should be excluded from the calculations. In this case, the initial weight of member CD would not have any effect on the calculations, as it is not connected to the boom at point E. The weight of member AB, on the other hand, would need to be considered as a downward force acting at point E, which would need to be balanced by an equal and opposite reaction at point A. This would change the forces in the Y direction equation to:

ΣFy = RA + 6575 + 50(6) = 0

Solving for RA, we get a reaction of 6435 lbs, which is slightly different from the initial calculation of 6425 lbs when including the weight of member AB.

Therefore, it is important to clarify the problem and understand the intended inclusion of the initial weights of members CD and AB before proceeding with the calculations.

Related to How Do You Account for Member Weights in Crane Boom Statics Calculations?

1. What is a statics problem?

A statics problem is a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the forces acting on an object that is in a state of rest or constant motion. It is concerned with the equilibrium of forces and moments on an object.

2. What is an engine boom?

An engine boom, also known as an engine knock or detonation, is a knocking or pinging noise that occurs in an internal combustion engine. It is caused by uncontrolled fuel ignition in the engine's combustion chamber, leading to an uncontrolled increase in pressure and temperature.

3. How can statics be used to solve engine boom problems?

Statics can be used to analyze the forces acting on the engine components and determine if they are in equilibrium. By understanding the forces and moments acting on the engine, engineers can design and modify the engine to prevent engine boom and ensure safe and efficient operation.

4. What are some potential causes of engine boom?

Engine boom can be caused by a variety of factors, including incorrect fuel or air mixture, carbon buildup in the engine, faulty spark plugs, or engine overheating. It can also be a sign of a larger problem, such as a worn or damaged engine component.

5. How can engine boom be prevented?

To prevent engine boom, regular maintenance of the engine is crucial. This includes changing the oil and air filter regularly, using high-quality fuel, and ensuring the engine is not overheating. Additionally, proper tuning of the engine and avoiding aggressive driving can also help prevent engine boom.