How Do You Add Vectors Using Unit Vector Notation?

In summary, two vectors with magnitudes 5.0m and 2.0m were given in unit vector notation. The sum of these vectors was requested in the same notation, which can be found by adding the magnitudes and using trigonometry to find the angle. The magnitude of the resultant vector was correctly found to be 12.04, but the direction is still uncertain. The angle convention used for reporting the direction of the resultant vector is important and should be specified.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Consider the following vectors:

a = (5.0m) i + (2.0m) j
b = (-14m) i + (6.0m)j

Sum of a+b in unit vector notation?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure about this notation, all I know about adding vectors is graphically. Does (5.0m) i + (2.0m) j mean 5 meters in direction i and 2 in direction j?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, conventionally, i, j, and k are dimensionless unit vectors pointing, respectively, in the +x, +y and +z directions.

Alright, got it.

Now I am asked for magnitude and direction of new vector. After adding these, I found magnitude to be 12.04 which is correct, but direction is stumping me.

I used trig to get the angle 41.64 as the angle direction of the new vector, but I'm not sure I'm finding the correct angle. After placing the vectors head to tail, I found the angle between the hypotenuse and x-axis. Is this the wrong angle?

Since it's pointing upwards and to the left, should I add 90* to my angle?

What convention are you going to use to report the angle of the resultant? A common convention is CCW from the +x axis.

Unit vector notation is a way of representing vectors using their components in terms of unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions. In this notation, the vector a would be written as a = 5i + 2j, where i and j are unit vectors in the x and y directions, respectively. Similarly, the vector b would be written as b = -14i + 6j.

To find the sum of these two vectors in unit vector notation, we simply add their respective components together. This would give us a + b = (5i + 2j) + (-14i + 6j) = (-9i + 8j).

In words, this means that the sum of a and b is a vector with a magnitude of 9 units in the negative x direction and 8 units in the positive y direction. This notation can be useful when working with more complex vector operations and can also be used to represent vectors in three-dimensional space.

Related to How Do You Add Vectors Using Unit Vector Notation?

1. What is unit vector notation addition?

Unit vector notation addition is a mathematical method used to add two or more vectors together. It involves representing each vector as a combination of unit vectors (vectors with a magnitude of 1) in the x, y, and z directions, and then adding the corresponding components of each vector to find the resultant vector.

2. Why is unit vector notation used for vector addition?

Unit vector notation is used for vector addition because it allows for a simpler and more systematic approach to adding vectors. By breaking down the vectors into their x, y, and z components, it is easier to visualize and calculate the resulting vector.

3. How is unit vector notation addition different from regular vector addition?

Regular vector addition involves simply adding the corresponding components of each vector to find the resultant vector. Unit vector notation addition, on the other hand, involves first breaking down the vectors into their x, y, and z components and then adding the components separately to find the resultant vector.

4. Can unit vector notation addition be applied to vectors in any direction?

Yes, unit vector notation addition can be applied to vectors in any direction. The unit vectors used in the notation can represent any direction in 3-dimensional space, allowing for the addition of vectors in any direction.

5. How is the resultant vector represented in unit vector notation addition?

The resultant vector is represented by adding the corresponding components of each vector together and writing them in unit vector notation. For example, if the resultant vector has components of 2 in the x direction, 3 in the y direction, and 4 in the z direction, it would be written as (2x + 3y + 4z).