How Do You Balance Forces in a Charged Rhombus?

The net force on the charge must be 0 for it to be stationary. For (2) and (3), use equations of motion with the force found in (1).In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving charges placed at different vertices of a rhombus and their effect on a particle with mass and charge placed at another vertex. The problem asks for the size of an unknown charge at a specific vertex to make the net force on the particle at the other vertex 0, as well as the initial acceleration and velocity of the particle. The solution involves drawing force vectors and using equations of motion.
kokoman
Hello, please help me solve this so I can learn from it.

Image:
http://i48.tinypic.com/30k8y10.jpg

Two charges with charge +Q are placed at A and C vertices of a rhombus with four even sides (α).
A prticle with mass m and charge -Q is placed at vertex B.
An unknown charge size of q is placed at vertex D.
The sharp angle of the rhombus is 60 degrees.

1)
What is the size of charge q, that is suffiecient to make the electrical charge affecting the -Q charged particle at vertex B to be 0?

If charge q is removed, and the particle at vertex B is released from being stationary, while the charges at vertice A and C are still held in place.
2)
What is the initial acceleration of the released particle?
3)
What is the velocity of the particle upon reaching the center of the rhombus?

I have no much of an attempt at solution for I'm am unsure of where to start.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
For (1) start by drawing all the force vectors acting on the charge at B and adding them.

Related to How Do You Balance Forces in a Charged Rhombus?

What is an electric charge?

An electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience electrical forces. It can be either positive or negative.

How is electric charge measured?

Electric charge is measured in units called coulombs (C). One coulomb is equivalent to the charge of 6.24 x 10^18 protons or electrons.

What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to flow freely, while insulators are materials that do not allow electric charges to flow easily.

What is the principle of conservation of charge?

The principle of conservation of charge states that electric charge can neither be created nor destroyed, only transferred from one object to another.

How is electric charge related to electric fields?

Electric charge creates electric fields, which are regions of space where electric forces can act on other charges. The strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the amount of electric charge present.

Back