How Do You Calculate Acceleration and Time for a Sprinter Reaching Top Speed?

• Thread starter cjm1994
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the sprinter reaches a top speed of 11m/s in t seconds from rest with essentially constant acceleration. He covers the 100m distance in 11.5s. If he maintains this speed once reached and covers the distance in 11.5s, his acceleration until he reaches constant speed is 8.718181818m/s.
cjm1994

Homework Statement

A sprinter reaches his top speed of 11m/s in t seconds from rest with essentially constant acceleration. If the maintains this speed once reached and covers the 100m distance in 11.5s, Find:

a) the time it took to accelerate.

b) his acceleration until he reaches constant speed.

Homework Equations

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad
d = Vi(t) + 1/2at^2
Vf = Vi +at

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how to do this without a least one more variable given.

If I try to use Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad I am missing the acceleration and the distance it accelerates for.
If I try to use d = Vi(t) + 1/2at^2 I am missing the distance, acceleration, and the time.
If I try to use Vf = Vi +at I am missing the acceleration and the time.

I don't really know where to even start, I can't find any questions online that are the same as this one. They usually give you the distance traveled before acceleration stops or how long it took. This is very confusing to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cgm1994. Welcome to Physics Forums!
If he reaches a speed of 11m/s in t seconds from rest with essentially constant acceleration, what is his acceleration a in terms of t? If you substitute this into your second Relevant Equation, what do you get for his distance covered during the time interval from t = 0 to t=t? How much time is left to run at constant 11 m/s for the rest of the 11.5 sec (in terms of t)? How much distance does he cover during this time interval?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Hi cgm1994. Welcome to Physics Forums!
If he reaches a speed of 11m/s in t seconds from rest with essentially constant acceleration, what is his acceleration a in terms of t? If you substitute this into your second Relevant Equation, what do you get for his distance covered during the time interval from t = 0 to t=t? How much time is left to run at constant 11 m/s for the rest of the 11.5 sec (in terms of t)? How much distance does he cover during this time interval?

Chet

Thanks for the reply. I'm not entirely sure what "a in terms of t" means. I understand the rest of your post.

cjm1994 said:
Thanks for the reply. I'm not entirely sure what "a in terms of t" means. I understand the rest of your post.
a = 11/t

Chet

Likes 1 person
Thats what I though you meant, but that just makes me get d = 5.5t

I'm sorry if I'm just missing something here my physics is really rusty

cjm1994 said:
Thats what I though you meant, but that just makes me get d = 5.5t

I'm sorry if I'm just missing something here my physics is really rusty
Yes. 5.5t is correct for the distance traveled by the sprinter while he is accelerating. Now, in terms of t, how far does he travel during the 11.5-t seconds that he is not accelerating?

Chet

Likes 1 person
Ok assuming I did this part right I think I got the rest of the question down.

11m/s * (11.5s - t) = 100 - (5.5t)
so
t = 4.81818181

Is that right? Thanks again for the help.

cjm1994 said:
Ok assuming I did this part right I think I got the rest of the question down.

11m/s * (11.5s - t) = 100 - (5.5t)
so
t = 4.81818181

Is that right? Thanks again for the help.
Looks right.

Chet

Related to How Do You Calculate Acceleration and Time for a Sprinter Reaching Top Speed?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the cause of the motion.

2. What is the "Sprinter" question in kinematics?

The "Sprinter" question is a classic kinematics problem that involves calculating the average speed of a runner based on their initial and final positions and the time it takes to cover that distance.

3. How is the "Sprinter" question solved?

The "Sprinter" question is solved by using the formula: Average speed = total distance / total time. This formula is derived from the definition of average speed as the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken to cover that distance.

4. What are the key concepts in solving the "Sprinter" question?

The key concepts in solving the "Sprinter" question are distance, time, and speed. It is important to understand how these variables are related and how to manipulate them using mathematical formulas.

5. What are the real-world applications of solving the "Sprinter" question?

The "Sprinter" question has practical applications in sports and athletics, where knowing the average speed of a runner can help in training and improving performance. It also has applications in engineering and physics, where the principles of kinematics are used to design and analyze motion in machines and structures.