How Do You Calculate Acceleration in Space Probe Motion Problems?

• Thread starter efaizan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary: Now, for part c, you can use the equations of motion again to find the time it took for the probe to reach its final velocity of 8820 m/s. In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving a space probe trying to escape a massive planet's gravitational pull. The problem asks for the probe's acceleration, distance traveled, and time elapsed based on its initial and final velocities. The conversation discusses using the conservation of energy and kinematic equations to solve the problem, with the final answer for acceleration being 196 m/s^2 and the time elapsed being found using the equations of motion.
efaizan
college phys 1111... neeed help!

Homework Statement

A space probe is desperately trying to escape the gravitational pull of a massive planet. After a final blast of its thrusters, the probe has a velocity of 2940 m/s away from the planet. Later, the probe is 176.4 km closer to the planet than it originally was, with a velocity of 8820 m/s toward the planet.

You are to find (assume constant acceleration):
a) the acceleration (magnitude and direction)
b) How far beyond its starting point the probe got.
c) How much time elapsed between initial and final positions.

I don’t understand how to approach this problem…. How do I find acceleration when I don’t know the time?

Physics news on Phys.org

You know that the probe's velocity was originally 2940 m/s, but that after falling 176.4 km towards the planet (and losing a corresponding amount of potential energy), its velocity became 8820 m/s. You can use the conservation of energy to calculate g, the acceleration due to gravity.

For b, you can use the conservation of energy again. c should be easy once you get the answer for a.

i am sorry i still don't understand... =[

i mean i know (Velocity final- Velocity initial)/time = acceleration but they don't tell the time and that is what is throwing me off...

efaizan said:
How do I find acceleration when I don’t know the time?

Look at the kinematic equations for motion with constant acceleration. Look for the one equation that does not contain time t.

v^2=vo^2+2a(x-xo) or

v^2-vo^2=2a(x-xo)

2940^2-8820^2=2a(x-176.4) and solve for a?

Yes. Um, you do know what the value of x is, right?

ummm 0?

Yup, exactly. But you used 176.4, which is in kilometers, whereas all your speeds are in m/s. You'll have to make the units agree.

ok so 2940^2-8820^2=2a(0-109.6) i got a= 315459.85... that doesn't sound right does it?

thank you guys btw for ur help!

Well first convert x into meters, there are 1000 meters in 1km. Know you just plug and chug. And for some odd reason you have Vo as 8820 and V as 2940.

ohhhh oops i think i converted the 176.4 km to miles... soooo i should flip flop the v's? and 176.4 km to meters would be 176400?

ok so i did it again and i got 196 for a now... that sounds kinda right. right?

Looks good.

Related to How Do You Calculate Acceleration in Space Probe Motion Problems?

1. What is the purpose of taking college physics?

Taking college physics can help you develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are valuable in many careers. It also provides a foundation for understanding the physical world around us, from the smallest particles to the largest galaxies.

2. Is college physics difficult?

College physics can be challenging, but it is also a very rewarding subject. With dedication and hard work, anyone can succeed in college physics. It is important to attend lectures, do practice problems, and seek help when needed.

3. Are there any prerequisites for taking college physics?

Most colleges and universities require students to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus, before taking college physics. Some universities may also require students to take a physics placement test to determine their readiness for the course.

4. What topics are covered in college physics?

College physics covers a wide range of topics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. Each topic builds upon the previous one, providing a comprehensive understanding of the principles and laws that govern the universe.

5. How can I prepare for college physics?

Before starting college physics, it is helpful to review fundamental concepts in mathematics, such as algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. It is also beneficial to familiarize yourself with scientific notation, units of measurement, and basic physics concepts. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills can help prepare you for the coursework.