How Do You Calculate and Graph Standard Deviation and Mean Deviation?

• Thread starter minase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the conversation discusses the topics of standard deviation and mean deviation, as well as graphing these concepts. The speaker expresses confusion and a lack of resources, but is directed to helpful websites and encouraged to seek assistance from their teacher.
minase
We just started slandered deviation in our precalcules class. We did not learn summation about sequence and series stuff. Our teacher just skipped all of that staff. I know that the standered deviation helps you to determine if the possible out comes are reasonable. How could you find the standered deviation and mean deviation? And how do you graph this I looked at the graph and it looks like a bell. In order to graph do you need to know the x and they values? I don't get what the teacher is talking about at all the formula with the sigma sign it doesn't make any sense to me. I don't have any resources that I could learn these things. Our teacher has all ready collected our books. IF you if you give me some sites that might be help full to me that would be really great.

Physics news on Phys.org
minase said:
We just started slandered deviation in our precalcules class. We did not learn summation about sequence and series stuff.
summation is an important concept to learn in order to hand-calculate the standard deviation and mean.

I know that the standard deviation helps you to determine if the possible out comes are reasonable.
that's a vague definition. Here is a http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=standard+deviation.

How could you find the standard deviation and mean deviation? And how do you graph this. I looked at the graph and it looks like a bell.
you find the standard deviation using a method. Here is a common http://stattrek.com/Help/HelpCenter.aspx?Target=Standard_deviation of that method.
If your graph looks like a bell, why are you asking how to graph it? If you mean how do you graph standard deviation, at each point they can be plotted along with the data values. By mean deviation, I take it you are talking about just the "mean", which is an important parameter in determining the standard deviation.

In order to graph do you need to know the x and the y values?
they certainly would be useful (what would you graph if you didn't know the x & y values? :confused: )

I don't get what the teacher is talking about at all the formula with the sigma sign it doesn't make any sense to me. I don't have any resources that I could learn these things. Our teacher has all ready collected our books.
I would make an appointment to see your teacher during office hours and ask to go over that.
IF you if you give me some sites that might be help full to me that would be really great.
It is really easy to do that using a search engine.Here is one http://stattrek.com/Lesson2/Normal.aspx . It is a tutorial outlining all the most common parameters used in a normal distribution (bell shaped curve)

Last edited by a moderator:

As a scientist, it is important to have a good understanding of standard deviation and mean deviation, as they are commonly used in data analysis and statistical calculations.

Standard deviation is a measure of how spread out a set of data is from its mean or average. It is calculated by finding the square root of the variance, which is the average of the squared differences from the mean.

Mean deviation, on the other hand, is a measure of how much the data values deviate from the mean. It is calculated by finding the average absolute difference between each data point and the mean.

To calculate the standard deviation and mean deviation, you will need to have a set of data. From this data, you can find the mean by adding all the values and dividing by the total number of values. Then, you can find the squared differences from the mean for each data point and calculate the variance. Finally, take the square root of the variance to find the standard deviation. For mean deviation, you will need to find the absolute differences from the mean for each data point and then calculate the average.

Graphing standard deviation and mean deviation can be done on a histogram or a box plot. A histogram is a bar graph that shows the frequency of data within certain intervals, while a box plot shows the distribution of data values and any outliers. Both can give a visual representation of the spread of the data and the location of the mean.

To create a histogram, you will need to know the x-values, which represent the intervals of data, and the y-values, which represent the frequency of data within those intervals. For a box plot, you will need to know the minimum and maximum values, the median, and the first and third quartiles.

If you are struggling to understand these concepts, there are many online resources available that can help. Khan Academy, for example, has free lessons and practice problems on standard deviation and mean deviation. You can also find tutorials and explanations on YouTube or through a simple internet search.

In addition, you can ask your teacher for extra resources or reach out to classmates for help. It is important to have a solid understanding of these concepts in order to effectively analyze and interpret data in your future studies and career.

Related to How Do You Calculate and Graph Standard Deviation and Mean Deviation?

1. What is the difference between standard deviation and mean deviation?

Standard deviation measures the spread or variability of a data set from its mean, while mean deviation measures the average distance of each data point from the mean. In other words, standard deviation takes into account all values in a data set, while mean deviation only considers the absolute distance from the mean.

2. How is standard deviation calculated?

To calculate the standard deviation, you first find the mean of the data set. Then, for each data point, subtract the mean and square the result. Next, find the average of these squared differences. Finally, take the square root of this average to get the standard deviation.

3. What does a high standard deviation indicate?

A high standard deviation indicates that the data points are spread out over a larger range from the mean, meaning there is more variability in the data set. This could suggest that the data is more diverse and less consistent.

4. When is it appropriate to use mean deviation instead of standard deviation?

Mean deviation is often used as a simpler and more intuitive measure of variability, especially for small data sets. It is also less affected by extreme values, making it more suitable for skewed data sets. However, standard deviation is more commonly used in statistical analyses and has better properties for making inferences.

5. Can standard deviation be negative?

No, standard deviation cannot be negative. It is a measure of the spread or distance from the mean, so it is always a positive value. A standard deviation of zero indicates that all the data points are equal to the mean, while a larger standard deviation indicates a greater spread from the mean.

Back