How Do You Calculate Angular Speed and Acceleration for a Rotating Robot Arm?

• Thread starter umarfarooq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary, the problem involves a robot arm with links OA and AB, rotating clockwise at a constant angular speed of 0.8 rad/s. The end B of link AB moves down a vertical dashed line. The question asks for the angular speed and acceleration of link AB when θ1 = 30 degrees and θ2 = 60 degrees. Using equations for velocity and acceleration, the angular speed of link AB was found to be 2.13 rad/s and the acceleration to be 4.56 rad/s^2 downwards.
umarfarooq

Homework Statement

The link OA of a robots arm is rotating clockwise with a constant angular speed of 0.8 rad/s. At the same time the link AB is also rotating clockwise so that the end B moves down the vertical dashed line. Determine the angular speed and the acceleration of the link AB when θ1 = 30 degrees. θ2 = 60 degrees

Homework Equations

cp = crossproduct
Va = Omega(oa)R(oa)
Vb = Va + (Omegaa/b)cp(Ra/b)
Ab = Aa + ALPHAa/b cp R(b/a) - ((Omegaa/b)^2)* Ra/b

The Attempt at a Solution

Va = Omega xRoa = 0.8x0.8 = 0.64m/s
Vb = Va + (Omegaa/b)cp(Ra/b), Va = 0.64i, Vb = -Vbj, Ra/b = (0.6cos30i -0.6sin30j), Omegaa/b = Omegaa/bk

Equate i's to get Omegaa/b = 2.13rad/s
Equate j's to get Vb = 1.109m/s down

For Aa, it is in the i direction only so Aa = (Omega(oa)^2)R(oa) = (0.8x0.8)x0.8 = 0.512 rad/s^2

so Ab = Aa + ALPHAa/b cp R(b/a) - ((Omegaa/b)^2)* Ra/b
equate i's
0 = 0/512 - ALPHAa/b x 0.6sin30 - (2.13^2)x 0.6cos 30
ALPHAa/b = 6.15 rad/s^2
equate j's
i get Ab = 4.56 rad/s^2 down
Could anyone verify my calculations. i would be very greatful please see the attachment for the diagram

Physics news on Phys.org
this is the diagram theta 1 is between OA and theta 2 between AB. OA = 0.8m and OB 0.6m

Attachments

• a.zip
    99.5 KB · Views: 223

I would first like to commend you on your detailed and thorough attempt at solving this problem. Your equations and calculations seem to be correct, and your final answer for the angular acceleration of link AB appears to be consistent with the given information.

However, as a scientist, I would also suggest that you double-check your calculations and equations to ensure that they are accurate and that you have accounted for all relevant factors. Additionally, it may be helpful to provide more context or information about the problem, such as the dimensions or other specifications of the robot's arm, to provide a more complete and accurate solution. Overall, your approach and solution seem to be on the right track, but as with any scientific problem, it is important to thoroughly check and verify all calculations and assumptions to ensure accuracy.

Related to How Do You Calculate Angular Speed and Acceleration for a Rotating Robot Arm?

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed is the measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving around a fixed point. It is usually measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed is the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear speed is the rate of change of linear displacement. In other words, angular speed measures how fast an object is rotating, while linear speed measures how fast an object is moving in a straight line.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular speed?

The formula for angular speed is angular distance divided by time. It can also be calculated by dividing angular velocity by the radius of the circular path.

4. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the measure of how quickly the angular velocity of an object is changing. It is usually measured in radians per second squared.

5. How is angular acceleration related to angular speed?

Angular acceleration and angular speed are related in the same way that linear acceleration and linear speed are related. Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular speed.