How Do You Calculate Average Speed from Displacement-Time Data?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a data table to find a line of best fit using a calculator and using it to answer questions about an object launched vertically upwards. The conversation also includes a discussion about calculating average speed and the possibility of using the calculator's line of best fit as a model. A hint is given about the calculation of average speed and a question is asked about the username being a reference to Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio.
CedarPointer

Homework Statement

Use the data table of displacement time data to get a line of best fit using your Ti-83 calculator. Once you have the equation, graph it so that you can answer the questions 1-5 that follow. Assume that the data below is for an object that is launched vertically upwards.

Time (sec) Displacment (m)
0 9.3
.5 15.075
1.0 18.8
1.5 20.475
2.0 20.1

Using the information above, calculate the average speed for the object from 0.75 sec to 2.9 sec.

Homework Equations

I've tried using the distance divided by time, but that hasn't worked, so I think the equation is actually where my problem is. The one I've tried mainly is average speed=change in distance/change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

Time Displacement
.75 17.193
2.9 14.259

AS=(14.259-17.193)/(2.9-.75)
AS= -1.36
Which isn't right.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your calculation is correct. So maybe there is something wrong with using the calculator's line of best fit as a model for the displacement against time?

I think the calculation might be wrong since -1.36 was correct as the answer for average velocity.

This hint might help: Speed can never be negative. You need to know the distance (not displacement) traveled during the time interval.

p.s. Would your username be a reference to Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio?

The equation you are using, average speed = change in distance/change in time, is correct. However, the values you have used for change in distance and change in time are not correct. In order to calculate average speed, you need to find the total distance travelled and the total time taken.

To find the total distance travelled, you need to use the displacement values in the table and add them up. In this case, the total distance travelled would be 20.1 meters.

To find the total time taken, you can subtract the starting time from the ending time. In this case, the total time taken would be 2.9 seconds - 0.75 seconds = 2.15 seconds.

Now, you can plug in these values into the equation:
Average speed = (total distance travelled)/(total time taken)
= 20.1 meters/2.15 seconds
= 9.35 m/s

Therefore, the average speed of the object from 0.75 seconds to 2.9 seconds is 9.35 m/s.

Related to How Do You Calculate Average Speed from Displacement-Time Data?

1. What is the definition of average speed in physics?

The average speed in physics is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken to travel that distance. It is a measure of how fast an object is moving on average over a certain period of time.

2. How is average speed different from instantaneous speed?

Instantaneous speed is the speed of an object at a specific moment in time, while average speed is the overall speed of an object over a period of time. Average speed takes into account any changes in speed that may have occurred during the given time frame, while instantaneous speed only reflects the speed at one particular moment.

3. Can an object have a constant average speed but varying instantaneous speeds?

Yes, an object can have a constant average speed while its instantaneous speed may be changing. This can occur when an object is moving at a steady pace but experiences brief moments of acceleration or deceleration.

4. How is average speed related to velocity?

Average speed and velocity are closely related, but they are not the same. Average speed is the total distance divided by the total time, while velocity is the displacement (change in position) divided by the time. In other words, velocity takes direction into account while average speed does not.

5. How can the average speed of an object be calculated using a distance-time graph?

The average speed of an object can be calculated by finding the slope of the line on a distance-time graph. The slope, or gradient, represents the change in distance over the change in time, which is equal to the average speed. This can be done by dividing the change in distance (y-axis) by the change in time (x-axis).

Back