How Do You Calculate Average Velocity for an Insect Crawling Across a Pool?

In summary, an insect crawls along the edge of a rectangular swimming pool with a length of 27 m and width of 21 m. After crawling from corner A to corner B in 30 minutes, the average speed is calculated to be 1.6 m/min or 2.7 cm/sec. To find the average velocity, the displacement must be determined, which can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. The magnitude of the average velocity is 1.9 cm/s. The correct answer for the magnitude of the average velocity is found by using Pythagoras' theorem.
mistalopez

Homework Statement

An insect crawls along the edge of a rectangular swimming pool of length 27 m and width 21 m. If it crawls from corner A to corner B in 30 minutes, (a) what is the average speed, and (b) what is the magnitude of its average velocity?

Homework Equations

average speed = distance/total travel time

average velocity = displacement/total travel time

The Attempt at a Solution

I believed I figured out (a) which is 1.6m/min

work for (a) 48m/30min= 1.6m/min or 2.7 cm/sec (answer in book when converted)

For (b), I am having a problem possibly because I am having difficulty finding the correct displacement. I tried x2 -x1 48m-(+1.0m)= 47m displacement. I then tried maybe finding the slope which was 21/-27 and got 7/-9. I think I really messed up (b) and I cannot figure it out. Can someone please help me? The answer in the book for (b) is 1.9cm/s , but I do not know how they got that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mistalopez said:

Homework Statement

An insect crawls along the edge of a rectangular swimming pool of length 27 m and width 21 m. If it crawls from corner A to corner B in 30 minutes, (a) what is the average speed, and (b) what is the magnitude of its average velocity?

Homework Equations

average speed = distance/total travel time

average velocity = displacement/total travel time

The Attempt at a Solution

I believed I figured out (a) which is 1.6m/min

work for (a) 48m/30min= 1.6m/min or 2.7 cm/sec (answer in book when converted)

For (b), I am having a problem possibly because I am having difficulty finding the correct displacement. I tried x2 -x1 48m-(+1.0m)= 47m displacement. I then tried maybe finding the slope which was 21/-27 and got 7/-9. I think I really messed up (b) and I cannot figure it out. Can someone please help me? The answer in the book for (b) is (1/9cm)/s , but I do not know how they got that.

Where are corner A and B on the pool? Your (a) assumes opposite corners.

But if the answer to (b) is given as 1/9 cm/s then you have 1800 secs and hence 200 cm, or 2 meters only. The pool doesn't have corners that are 2 m apart. I'm guessing you meant 1.9 cm/s.

Assuming that you go from one corner to the opposite corner of a rectangle, you want to ask everybody's favourite ancient Greek mathematician.

Cheers -- sylas

Yes, positions A and B on the pool are opposite corners. The answer to (b) 1.9cm/s is NOT a given. I looked it up in the back of the book to determine if I was correct. I do not understand the steps to finding the displacement to use in the average velocity equation (if that is the correct equation I should be using).

mistalopez said:
Yes, positions A and B on the pool are opposite corners. The answer to (b) 1.9cm/s is NOT a given. I looked it up in the back of the book to determine if I was correct. I do not understand the steps to finding the displacement to use in the average velocity equation (if that is the correct equation I should be using).

The average velocity is a vector, which gives the constant straight line movement that would get from the start point to end point.

So for the magnitude of the average velocity, you need to know how far it is from the start point to the finish in a straight line, rather than along the path taken by the insect.

Cheers -- sylas

sylas said:
The average velocity is a vector, which gives the constant straight line movement that would get from the start point to end point.

So for the magnitude of the average velocity, you need to know how far it is from the start point to the finish in a straight line, rather than along the path taken by the insect.

Cheers -- sylas

Correct, that is the definition of displacement. Knowing that it is a rectangle, I tried to use a slope knowing it went 27m to the right and then 21 m down. I got 27m/-21m as the slope and then simplified I got -9/7. However, when I plug it into the average velocity equation, it does not come out correctly.

avg. Velocity = (-9/7m)/30min. = -0.4m/min. or -2.2cm/s

Now maybe that helps you to figure out what I am doing wrong. The correct answer should be 1.9cm/s

Last edited:
mistalopez said:
Correct, that is the definition of displacement. Knowing that it is a rectangle, I tried to use a slope knowing it went 27m to the right and then 21 m down. I got 27m/-21m as the slope and then simplified I got -9/7. However, when I plug it into the average velocity equation, it does not come out correctly.

avg. Velocity = (-9/7m)/30min. = -0.4m/min. or -2.2cm/s

Now maybe that helps you to figure out what I am doing wrong. The correct answer should be 1.9cm/s

The slope is not the displacement. You need to know how far it is from start to finish. This is a distance; whereas the slope is a ratio of two distances. Different units.

Can you think of any ancient Greek mathematicians who might be of some use here?

Cheers -- sylas

Sorry for the long time to reply. I tend to over complicate math problems and logic problems and then smack myself later for it was staring me in the face. I used the Pythagoras' theorem and got 1.9cm/sec for the hypotenuse. Thanks again and problem solved.

mistalopez said:
Sorry for the long time to reply. I tend to over complicate math problems and logic problems and then smack myself later for it was staring me in the face. I used the Pythagoras' theorem and got 1.9cm/sec for the hypotenuse. Thanks again and problem solved.

Well done. Come again! -- sylas

Related to How Do You Calculate Average Velocity for an Insect Crawling Across a Pool?

What is displacement?

Displacement refers to the change in position of an object, usually measured in a straight line from its starting point to its ending point.

How is displacement calculated?

To calculate displacement, you need to know the initial position of the object and its final position. Then, you can subtract the initial position from the final position to find the change in position, or displacement.

What is the difference between displacement and distance?

While displacement refers to the change in position of an object, distance is the total length of the path traveled by the object. Displacement takes into account direction, while distance does not.

Why is displacement important?

Displacement is important because it is a fundamental concept in understanding the motion of objects. It helps us track the movement of objects and calculate their velocity and acceleration.

What are some real-life examples of displacement?

Examples of displacement in everyday life include a car driving from one point to another, a person walking from their house to the store, or a ball being thrown and caught by someone else. Essentially, any movement that results in a change in position can be described using displacement.