How Do You Calculate Average Velocity with Acceleration and Initial Speed?

• Thread starter adhoward24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the problem asks for the average velocity of a remote controlled vehicle that starts with a speed of 1.0 m/s forward and accelerates at 0.08 m/s2 backward for 4.0 seconds. The formula used to solve this is Vavg=deltaD/deltaT. Using the motion equation delta d=(V2^2-V1^2)/2a, the result is 0.625m.
adhoward24
1. Homework Statement

Calculate the average velocity for a remote controlled vehicle that starts with a speed of 1.0 m/s [forward] and then accelerates at 0.08 m/s2 [backward] for 4.0 s

2. Homework Equations

Vavg=deltaD/deltaT

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure of how to go about this even though it seems its an easy question. Is there enough information to even solve it? Wouldn't i need the amount of time that it travels forward? Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you listed isn't all you need. What other motion equations do you know that might help you find delta d?

Delta d=(V2^2-V1^2)/2a?

Not sure if I am doing this right but
Delta d=(1.0^2-0.0^2)/2(0.8)
= 0.625m

I need some help is this correct?

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Average Velocity with Acceleration and Initial Speed?

1. What is a simple motion problem?

A simple motion problem involves a body or object moving in a straight line with a constant acceleration or velocity. It is a type of physics problem that can be solved using equations of motion.

2. How do I solve a simple motion problem?

To solve a simple motion problem, you need to identify the given variables such as initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and time. Then you can use the appropriate equation of motion, such as the kinematic equations, to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are the common types of simple motion problems?

The common types of simple motion problems include calculating the time taken for an object to reach a certain distance, finding the final velocity of an object given its initial velocity and acceleration, and determining the distance traveled by an object with a constant velocity.

4. What are the units used in solving simple motion problems?

The units used in solving simple motion problems are usually meters for distance, meters per second for velocity, and meters per second squared for acceleration. It is important to make sure that all given values have the same units before solving the problem.

5. How can I check if my answer to a simple motion problem is correct?

You can check if your answer to a simple motion problem is correct by plugging it back into the given equation and seeing if it satisfies the other given variables. You can also use common sense and logic to check if the answer seems reasonable and follows the laws of physics.

Back