How Do You Calculate Average Vertical Velocity in Physics Problems?

In summary, the question involves a firefighter climbing a 10.0m ladder leaning against a vertical wall at a 25.0 degree angle, reaching the roof in 15.0 seconds. The first two questions, a) and b), involve using trigonometry to find the height of the wall and the distance of the ladder's base from the wall. The third question, c), asks for the firefighter's average vertical velocity, which can be found by dividing the height of the wall by 15.0 seconds, as the question specifically mentions "vertical" and the "wall." It is recommended to clarify with the person who set the question whether the distance refers to the length of the ladder or the height of the wall.
nblu
Thanks in advance for reading this thread. Here goes the question;

Q: A firefighter climbs up a 10.0m ladder leaning against a vertical wall.
The ladder makes an angle of 25.0 degrees with the wall. The firefighter reaches
the roof in 15.0s

a) What is the height of the wall? 9.10m
b) How far is the base of the ladder from the wall? 4.23m
c) What is the firefighter's average vertical velocity?

I have completed a) & b) as those were straight-forward questions by using Trig.
However, I got stuck on c). I understand that the average vertical velocity is
[tex]\Delta[/tex]d/t, t would be 15.0s but I'm not sure what the value of the d would be.

Could anybody please direct me or give me some advice?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Thats a good question. I think you're probably confused as to whether the distance is the length of the ladder or the height of the wall. Personally I'd say height of the wall but this is a subjective issue of semantics. If you have time I'd clarify it with whoever set you the question.

If it says average vertical velocity then surely it has to be the height of the wall.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.
This is a course that I'm taking from adult learning centre.
It's an independent learning so I have to get this done on my own :(

but after getting help from you guys, it really helps me to re-direct from wrong to right.

ANYWAYS! after squeezing out my brain I just put a conclusion.
Because its asking for "vertical" meaning the "wall" in this case,
I've had the height of the wall as D and divide it by 15 seconds to get the answer.
I think that makes sense

Many thanks guys :)

Related to How Do You Calculate Average Vertical Velocity in Physics Problems?

1. What is average vertical velocity?

Average vertical velocity is the measure of the average speed and direction at which an object moves vertically over a given period of time.

2. How is average vertical velocity calculated?

Average vertical velocity is calculated by dividing the change in vertical position by the change in time. This can also be represented by the slope of a displacement-time graph.

3. Is average vertical velocity the same as average speed?

No, average vertical velocity and average speed are not the same. Average speed only considers the total distance traveled, while average vertical velocity also takes into account the direction of motion.

4. What is a positive value for average vertical velocity?

A positive value for average vertical velocity means that the object is moving upward in the positive direction. This can also be represented by a positive slope on a displacement-time graph.

5. How is average vertical velocity affected by acceleration?

Acceleration can affect average vertical velocity by either increasing or decreasing its value, depending on whether the acceleration is in the same direction or opposite direction as the initial velocity. This change in velocity can be represented by a curved line on a displacement-time graph.