How Do You Calculate Block Dimensions in a Uniform Magnetic Field?

In summary, the block is moved at three different positions and the potential difference is measured. The block lengths are: (a) {d_{x}}, (b) {d_{y}}, and (c) {d_{z}}.
PFStudent

Homework Statement

14. Figure 28-36 shows a metallic block, with its faces parallel to coordinate axes. The block is in a uniform magnetic field of magnitude [itex]{0.020{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}T}[/itex]. One edge length of the block is [itex]25{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}cm[/itex]; the block is not drawn to scale. The block is moved at [itex]3.0{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}m/s[/itex] parallel to each axis, in turn, and the resulting potential difference [itex]V[/itex] that appears across the block is measured. With the motion parallel to the y-axis, [itex]V = 12{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}mV[/itex]; with the motion parallel to the z-axis, [itex]V = 18{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}mV[/itex]; with the motion parallel to the x-axis, [itex]V = 0{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}V[/itex]. What are the block lengths
(a) [itex]{d_{x}}[/itex],
(b) [itex]{d_{y}}[/itex], and
(c) [itex]{d_{z}}[/itex]?

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/5bc42e2d8f.jpg

[Fig. 28-36]

Homework Equations

[tex]
{\vec{E}_{P1}} = {{\frac{k_{e}q_{1}}{{r_{P1}}^2}{\hat{r}_{1P}}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{V_{P1}} = {\frac{k_{e}q_{1}}{{r_{P1}}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{\vec{F}_{E}} = {q{\vec{E}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{\Delta{V}_{p}} = {{-}{\int_{r_{0}}^{r_{1}}}{\vec{E}_{p1}(r)}{\cdot}{d{\vec{r}}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{\vec{E}} = {{-}{\nabla}{V(r)}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{\vec{E}} = {{-}{\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}}{\left[{V(r)}\right]}{\hat{r}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{\vec{F}_{B}} = {q{\vec{v}}{\times}{\vec{B}}}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Yea, this problem does not appear to be easy at all. What I first did was assume that since the block is being moved along each axis at the same velocity. Then the potential difference between the points along the axes where the block stops moving with respect to the point at the origin, should be the same for all three points (at least I think so).

After thinking about the above for a while, I thought it was really not getting me anywhere. Then I began to just consider the movement of the block along a single axes. Considering the y-axis first (as I am assuming they are moving the block along each axis in the order they list the axes (ie. origin to y, y to z, and z to x)). Then I have,

origin to y:

[tex]
{\Delta{V}_{y}} = {{-}{\int_{y_{0}}^{y_{1}}}{\vec{E}_{p1}(y)}{\cdot}{d{\vec{y}}}}
[/tex]

Since, the block begins to move from the origin,

[itex]
{y_{0}} = 0{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}m
[/itex]

So, I now have,

[tex]
{\Delta{V}_{y}} = {{-}{|\vec{E}_{}(y)|}{|y_{1}|}{cos{\theta}_{y}}}
[/tex]

However, it is from here that I am not sure what to do next, I think I'm on the right track. I'm just not sure how to proceed from here. I am guessing that I have to re-express [itex]{cos{\theta}_{y}}[/itex] in terms of: [itex]{y_{1}}[/itex] and [itex]{z_{1}}[/itex], however I'm not quite sure how I should do that.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

I'm still looking over this problem and I figured I'm on the right track where I left off.

So, if I continue working through this problem--then for the next two parts I get the following,

[tex]
{\Delta{V}_{z}} = {{-}{\int_{z_{0}}^{z_{1}}}{\vec{E}_{p1}(z)}{\cdot}{d{\vec{z}}}}
[/tex]

Where I get,

[tex]
{\Delta{V}_{z}} = {{-}{|\vec{E}_{}(z)|}{z_{1}}{cos{\theta}_{z}}}
[/tex]

Where,

[tex]
{{\theta}_{z}} = 180^{o}
[/tex]

So, now I have,

[tex]
{\Delta{V}_{z}} = {{|\vec{E}_{}(z)|}{z_{1}}}
[/tex]

But, I still do not see how to solve for the dimensions of the box.

How do I solve for the dimensions of the box?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-PFStudent.

Hey,

So, any ideas on how to solve for the dimensions of the block?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Related to How Do You Calculate Block Dimensions in a Uniform Magnetic Field?

What is a hard magnetic field problem?

A hard magnetic field problem refers to a situation in which a magnetic field is difficult to change or reverse. This can occur in materials with strong permanent magnets or in systems with strong external magnetic fields.

What causes a hard magnetic field?

A hard magnetic field is caused by the alignment of magnetic domains within a material. In materials with strong permanent magnets, the magnetic domains are already aligned and difficult to change. In systems with strong external magnetic fields, the alignment of magnetic domains is influenced by the strength and direction of the field.

How does a hard magnetic field affect materials?

A hard magnetic field can cause materials to become permanently magnetized, making it difficult to reverse or change the direction of the magnetic field. This can also lead to increased coercivity, or the resistance to demagnetization, in materials.

What are some applications of hard magnetic materials?

Hard magnetic materials are commonly used in the production of permanent magnets, such as those found in speakers, motors, and generators. They are also used in magnetic data storage devices, such as hard drives and credit cards with magnetic strips.

How can a hard magnetic field problem be overcome?

There are several ways to overcome a hard magnetic field problem, including using materials with lower coercivity, applying a demagnetizing field, or using a pulsed magnetic field. In some cases, specialized equipment or techniques may be necessary to overcome the effects of a hard magnetic field.

Back