How Do You Calculate Centripetal Force for Circular Motion?

• Thread starter joe465
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: Uniform_circular_motionIn summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the centripetal force required to rotate a 3kg object in a circle at a radius of 3m at one revolution per second. The equations used are MV2/r and 2*pie*r, and the attempt at a solution involves converting revolutions per second into meters per second and calculating the circumference before finding the centripetal force using the given mass and velocity. The conversation also mentions an alternate formula for centripetal force when the period of rotation is known.
joe465

Homework Statement

Calculate the centrepetal force required to rotate a3kg object in a circle at a radius of 3m at one revolution per second.

Homework Equations

MV2/r
2*pie*r

The Attempt at a Solution

First i presume i must convert the revolution per second into metres per second.

Calculate the circumference.

2*pie*r
2*pie*3
18.84955592153876m

Since its one revolution per second then it would mean:

18.84955592153876ms-1

Now for centrepetal force:

mv2/r

3*18.84955592153876 squared/3

1065.9172753176507952118585470128 / 3

Centrepetal force = 355.31N (2dp)

I hope this is right, the circular motion stuff still has never sunk in

Thanks, Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation of the tangential velocity v is incorrect, you should use v= rω and then put that into F=mv2/r or F=mω2r for a more direct approach.

Looks good to me. :smile:

rock.freak667 said:
Your calculation of the tangential velocity v is incorrect,
Why do you say that?

Doc Al said:
Why do you say that?

Nevermind, my bad, I used rpm instead of what it was rps.

That's quite right. I would have written 355.3 N, but that's just my "three significant figures" training.

MIT Open Courseware has an excellent lecture series on Classical Mechanics, with a great video on circular motion.

joe465 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the centrepetal force required to rotate a3kg object in a circle at a radius of 3m at one revolution per second.

Homework Equations

MV2/r
2*pie*r

The Attempt at a Solution

First i presume i must convert the revolution per second into metres per second.

Calculate the circumference.

2*pie*r
2*pie*3
18.84955592153876m

Since its one revolution per second then it would mean:

18.84955592153876ms-1

Now for centrepetal force:

mv2/r

3*18.84955592153876 squared/3

1065.9172753176507952118585470128 / 3

Centrepetal force = 355.31N (2dp)

I hope this is right, the circular motion stuff still has never sunk in

Thanks, Joe

There are many texts and references that show it, but if you look at the following wiki reference - the formulas right at the start - you will see that there is another formula for centripetal force that can be used in exactly this situation - when you know the Period of rotation rather than how fast it is travelling. That means you can't make a mistake calculating v, because you never calculate it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centripetal_force

Related to How Do You Calculate Centripetal Force for Circular Motion?

What is the formula for calculating centripetal force?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular motion.

What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather a result of the object's inertia.

How do you determine the direction of centripetal force?

The direction of centripetal force is always towards the center of the circular motion. This is because the force is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular path.

What factors affect the magnitude of centripetal force?

The magnitude of centripetal force is affected by the mass of the object, the speed of the object, and the radius of the circular path. As any of these factors increase, the centripetal force required to keep the object in circular motion also increases.

How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is necessary for an object to maintain circular motion. Without it, the object would move in a straight line tangent to the circle. The force acts as a centripetal acceleration, constantly changing the direction of the object's velocity to keep it moving in a circular path.