How Do You Calculate Charge and Energy from Power and Voltage Over Time?

In summary: Yes, I remember those, they're alternate equations for power dissipation.Thank you for all your help.P.S When I said attach a load, I meant put a resistive element into the schematic of the problem.I suggest you take a course in basic circuit theory. You can't just put anything in a schematic and expect to be able to calculate anything. You need to understand what you're putting in.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

The power absorbed by the box is ##p(t) = 2.5e^{-4t}W##. Compute the charge and energy delivered to the box for ##0 < t < 250ms##.

An image of the problem: http://gyazo.com/7cb5858f681c3c9db33e20b434c2b782

Homework Equations

##i = \frac{dq}{dt}##
##q = \int_{-∞}^{t} i dx##

Note that energy over time is the same as work over time.
##\frac{dE}{dt} = p = vi##
##E = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} p dt = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} iv dt##

##v = 50e^{-t}V##
##p = 2.5e^{-4t}W##
##0 < t < 250ms##

The Attempt at a Solution

The question asks to compute the charge and energy delivered for ##0 < t < 250ms##.

I don't have any current to work with, but I do have power and voltage.

Wouldn't I just integrate ##p(t)## from 0 to 250? That would give me energy.

Integrating ##p(t)/v(t)## from 0 to 250 would give me charge wouldn't it?

Something doesn't feel right. The answers are different.

The answer for the energy is listed as: 395.1mJ
The answer for the charge is listed as: 8.8mC

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:

Homework Statement

The power absorbed by the box is ##p(t) = 2.5e^{-4t}W##. Compute the charge and energy delivered to the box for ##0 < t < 250ms##.

An image of the problem: http://gyazo.com/7cb5858f681c3c9db33e20b434c2b782

Homework Equations

##i = \frac{dq}{dt}##
##q = \int_{-∞}^{t} i dx##

Note that energy over time is the same as work over time.
##\frac{dE}{dt} = p = vi##
##E = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} p dt = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} iv dt##

##v = 50e^{-t}V##
##p = 2.5e^{-4t}W##
##0 < t < 250ms##

The Attempt at a Solution

The question asks to compute the charge and energy delivered for ##0 < t < 250ms##.

I don't have any current to work with, but I do have power and voltage.

Wouldn't I just integrate ##p(t)## from 0 to 250? That would give me energy.

Integrating ##p(t)/v(t)## from 0 to 250 would give me charge wouldn't it?

Something doesn't feel right. The answers are different.

The answer for the energy is listed as: 395.1mJ
The answer for the charge is listed as: 8.8mC

You're right on both counts.

W = ∫p(t)dt. And you can't determine charge unless you're given either R of the box or V across it.

Zondrina said:
If i integrate the power over the time interval, I get ##0.625##:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+2.5e^%28-4t%29+from+t%3D0+to+t%3D250

The answer is 395.1 mJ?

Change your upper limit of integration to the correct number!

PS what the h*ll is that n in the wolfram calculation? Has to do with the fact that e is an irrational number, but what is n? Anyway, just pick the first term in their answer which agrees with your given answer.

rude man said:
Change your upper limit of integration to the correct number!

PS what the h*ll is that n in the wolfram calculation? Has to do with the fact that e is an irrational number, but what is n? Anyway, just pick the first term in their answer which agrees with your given answer.

I see, so I have to change quantities into seconds with the way things are defined.

250ms = 0.250s

The integral now produces the correct answer of 0.395075(W*s) = 0.395075J ~~ 395.1mJ

For the part of the question about the charge. I can't get the charge from the information I've been given, can I.

Zondrina said:
I see, so I have to change quantities into seconds with the way things are defined.

You always have to use consistent units. joules = watts x seconds. Always convert to the SI units (assuming your course uses it).

For the part of the question about the charge. I can't get the charge from the information I've been given, can I.

No, you cannot. You need either the voltage or the real part of impedance (aka resistance).

rude man said:
You always have to use consistent units. joules = watts x seconds. Always convert to the SI units (assuming your course uses it).

No, you cannot. You need either the voltage or the real part of impedance (aka resistance).

Hmm, out of my own curiosity, hypothetically I attach a load to the box. The load would be absorbing power as per the convention.

Would the load be given in terms of ##r(t) = (constant)e^{something}##?

Then I'm guessing using ##v = ir## in some way would help me find the charge.

Zondrina said:
Hmm, out of my own curiosity, hypothetically I attach a load to the box. The load would be absorbing power as per the convention.

Would the load be given in terms of ##r(t) = (constant)e^{something}##?

Then I'm guessing using ##v = ir## in some way would help me find the charge.

What is r(t)? Some kind of time-varying resistance?

Attaching an external load does not help since you still wouldn't know the current inside the box.

You need R in the box, that way P = I^2 R which you know, then you could solve for I and then Q = ∫I dt.

Or if you knew V, then V^2/R = P = VI & again solve for I and Q.

Likes 1 person
rude man said:
What is r(t)? Some kind of time-varying resistance?

Attaching an external load does not help since you still wouldn't know the current inside the box.

You need R in the box, that way P = I^2 R which you know, then you could solve for I and then Q = ∫I dt.

Or if you knew V, then V^2/R = P = VI & again solve for I and Q.

Yes, I remember those, they're alternate equations for power dissipation.

Thank you for all your help.

P.S When I said attach a load, I meant put a resistive element into the schematic of the box.

Last edited:
Isn't the voltage given as v(t)=50*e-t

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Charge and Energy from Power and Voltage Over Time?

What is charge and how is it computed?

Charge is a fundamental physical property of matter that describes the amount of electric force an object possesses. It is computed by multiplying the number of charged particles (such as electrons or protons) by the magnitude of their charge.

What units are used to measure charge?

The SI unit for charge is the coulomb (C), which is equivalent to the charge of 6.24 x 10^18 protons or electrons. Other commonly used units include the electron volt (eV) and the statcoulomb (statC).

How is energy related to charge?

Energy and charge are closely related concepts in physics. Electric potential energy, which is the energy an object possesses due to its electric charge, is directly proportional to the amount of charge and the strength of the electric field in which the object is placed.

What is the equation for computing electric potential energy?

The equation for computing electric potential energy is U = qV, where U is the potential energy in joules, q is the charge in coulombs, and V is the potential difference (or voltage) in volts.

How is electric potential energy converted into other forms of energy?

Electric potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy or thermal energy, through the movement of charged particles. This can happen when an electric current flows through a conductor or when charged particles are accelerated by an electric field.