How Do You Calculate Coulomb's Law in 3-D?

In summary, the electrical force between the charges is 5 Newtons and the electric potential at the origin is 0 Newtons.
nadiaz

Homework Statement

Charge q1 = 5 μC is at position ( 1 m; 2 m; -1 m) and a second charge q2 = -3 μC is in position ( -2 m; 1 m; 3 m). Find:

a) The electrical force in vectorial form exerted on q1;
b) The electrical field in vectorial form at the origin of the system (0; 0; 0);
c) The electric potential at the origin of the system (0; 0; 0).

Homework Equations

Fe=k q1q2/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm still at a)
I've tried calculating Fe and found 5,19*10-3
but i don't know how to put it in vectorial form
I think adding the 2 vectors should give me this (-1, 3, 2)

Physics news on Phys.org
ehild said:
Use the vectorian form of Coulomb's Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb's_law#Vector_form

ehild

Hey! Thanks for anwsering :)

I've seen this formula online while looking for help, but i don't understand how to apply it.

Do you know where I could find an example to be able to picture it? Because at this point I'm ready to give up entirely :(

See picture attached. The force Q2 exerts on Q1 (F12) acts in the line that connects them, that is, F12 has the same direction as r12 = r1-r2.

attachment.php?attachmentid=63953&d=1384497791.jpg

[tex]\vec F_{12}= k\frac {Q_1Q_2}{|\vec r_{12}|^3} \vec r_{12}[/tex]

ehild

Attachments

• coulomblaw.JPG
    coulomblaw.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:
ehild said:
See picture attached. The force Q2 exerts on Q1 (F12) acts in the line that connects them, that is, F12 has the same direction as r12 = r1-r2.

attachment.php?attachmentid=63953&d=1384497791.jpg
[tex]\vec F_{12}= k\frac {Q_1Q_2}{|\vec r_{12}|^3} \vec r_{12}[/tex]

ehild

I still don't get it but thanks for trying. Have a good day!

In part (a), what is the distance between the two charges? Can you express a relative position vector from point 1 to point 2 in component form? If so, what is the relative position vector? Do you know how to determine the components of a unit vector in the same direction as the relative position vector? If so, what are the components of this unit vector? What is the relationship of the direction of this unit vector to the direction of the force between points 1 and 2?

Likes 1 person

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Coulomb's Law in 3-D?

1. What is Coulomb's Law in 3-D nightmare?

Coulomb's Law in 3-D nightmare is a mathematical equation that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles in three-dimensional space. It is an extension of the original Coulomb's Law, which only applies to two charged particles in one-dimensional space.

2. How is Coulomb's Law in 3-D nightmare different from the original Coulomb's Law?

The main difference between the two is that Coulomb's Law in 3-D nightmare takes into account the distance between the two charged particles in three-dimensional space, whereas the original Coulomb's Law assumes that the particles are in one-dimensional space.

3. What are the variables in Coulomb's Law in 3-D nightmare?

The variables in Coulomb's Law in 3-D nightmare are the magnitude of the charges on the two particles (q1 and q2), the distance between them (r), and the permittivity of the medium (ε). These variables are used to calculate the electrostatic force between the particles.

4. How do you use Coulomb's Law in 3-D nightmare in real-world applications?

Coulomb's Law in 3-D nightmare is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including the design of electronic devices, the study of atomic and molecular structures, and the understanding of the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.

5. Are there any limitations to Coulomb's Law in 3-D nightmare?

Like any scientific law, Coulomb's Law in 3-D nightmare has its limitations. It is based on the assumption that the charges are point particles, which may not always be true in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it only applies to static charges and does not take into account the effects of moving charges or changing electric fields.

Back