How Do You Calculate Current Density in a Wire?

In summary, the question involves calculating the current density in a wire with a circular cross-section and a diameter of 5.10 mm, made of a metal with resistivity of 5.00x10^-8 m. The formula used is J = i/A, where J is the current density, i is the current, and A is the cross-sectional area. The correct answer is obtained by dividing the current by the cross-sectional area, not the circumference. The units for resistivity are not meters.
123yt

Homework Statement

A long straight wire with circular cross-section and a diameter of 5.10 mm is made of a metal with resistivity = 5.00×10-8 m. The wire carries a current of 28.5 A. Calculate the current density in the wire.

Homework Equations

J = i / A

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the surface area, 0.0051 m, and multiplied it by pi to get the circumference. Then, I divided the current by the circumference and got 1778.79 A/m^2.

It's incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
123yt said:

Homework Statement

A long straight wire with circular cross-section and a diameter of 5.10 mm is made of a metal with resistivity = 5.00×10-8 m. The wire carries a current of 28.5 A. Calculate the current density in the wire.

Homework Equations

J = i / A

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the surface area, 0.0051 m, and multiplied it by pi to get the circumference. Then, I divided the current by the circumference and got 1778.79 A/m^2.

It's incorrect.

5.1mm is the diameter, not the area, so multiplying it by PI does indeed give you the circumference. But circumference is not the area.

Please try again, and get your terms for diameter, area, and current density (current divided by the cross-sectional area) correct...

Also, the units for resistivity are not meters...

Yeah, sorry, copy and pasted the question weirdly.

Anyways, thanks for the correction. I got it figured out now.

I would like to confirm that the formula you have used is correct, J = i / A, where J is the current density, i is the current, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire. However, there seems to be a mistake in your calculation. The circumference of a circle is given by 2πr, where r is the radius. In this case, the radius is 2.55 mm, which is 0.00255 m. Therefore, the circumference is 0.016 m, not 0.0051 m. When you divide the current by the correct circumference, you will get a current density of 1781.25 A/m^2. Please double check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

Related to How Do You Calculate Current Density in a Wire?

1. What is current density in a wire?

Current density in a wire is a measure of the amount of current flowing through a unit area of the wire. It is typically represented by the symbol J and is measured in amperes per square meter (A/m²).

2. How is current density related to the size and shape of a wire?

The current density in a wire is directly proportional to the cross-sectional area of the wire and inversely proportional to its length. This means that a larger cross-sectional area will result in a higher current density, while a longer wire will have a lower current density.

3. What factors affect the current density in a wire?

The current density in a wire is affected by the amount of current flowing through it, the material of the wire, and the temperature of the wire. Additionally, the resistance of the wire and any external factors, such as magnetic fields, can also impact the current density.

4. How is current density measured in a wire?

Current density is typically measured using a device called an ammeter, which is placed in series with the wire and measures the amount of current flowing through it. The current density can then be calculated using the formula J = I/A, where I is the current and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire.

5. Why is current density important in electrical circuits?

Current density is important in electrical circuits because it can help determine the efficiency and safety of the circuit. High current densities can lead to overheating and potential hazards, while low current densities may indicate a circuit is not functioning properly. Additionally, current density can also be used to calculate the resistance of a wire and determine the appropriate wire size for a given circuit.