How Do You Calculate Deceleration from Two Segments of Motion?

• Thread starter Plantatree123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the body experiences a constant deceleration of 3.4 meters per second2 as it moves through the path with two parts, the first of which it passes for 1 second and the second of which it passes for 2.2 seconds.
Plantatree123

Homework Statement

I am stuck with this task please help me.

1. A body is moving with constant deceleration while passing through path that contains two same parts and each one of them is 10m. The first part of the path, body passes for t1= 1s and the second part passes for t2=2.2s. Determine decelartion of the body!

Homework Equations

I assume :
First part of the path : s1= vot1- (at12)/2
Second part of the path : s2= vt2 - (at22) /2
V = Vo -at1

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to sum s1 + s2 because the whole path is s = s1 + s2 and then to find acceleration but this was not good because I left with initial velocity. I tried it many times but each time unsuccessfully.

Physics news on Phys.org
Plantatree123 said:
I assume :
First part of the path : s1= vot1- (at12)/2
Second part of the path : s2= vt2 - (at22) /2
V = Vo -at1
So far, so good.
Use the values given for the distances and times and you'll have two equations and two unknowns. Solve!

If you assume the same constant deceleration in both the paths It seems correct. You have two equation and two data to find ##a## and ##v_{0}##, try to solve the system ...

Plantatree123 said:
sum s1 + s2 because the whole path is s = s1 + s2
That's ok, but that's going from two pieces of information to one. As Doc Al says, you need to make the use of the fact that you know the two distances separately. Since in this case the two distances are the same, one interesting avenue to try is subtracting the two equations to produce another.
Plantatree123 said:
V = Vo -at1
That introduces yet another unknown, the velocity at the boundary. Can you think of another equation along these lines?

Ive found it ! Deceleration is a= 3,4 m\s2

Thanks everyone for help :))

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Deceleration from Two Segments of Motion?

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects, including their position, velocity, and acceleration. It does not take into account the forces that cause the motion, but rather focuses on describing how objects move.

What are the different types of motion in kinematics?

There are three types of motion in kinematics: translational motion (movement in a straight line), rotational motion (movement around an axis), and oscillatory motion (back-and-forth movement).

What is a task from kinematics?

A task from kinematics is a problem or exercise that involves applying the principles of kinematics to solve for unknown quantities such as displacement, velocity, or acceleration.

What are the basic equations used in kinematics?

The basic equations used in kinematics are the equations of motion, also known as the SUVAT equations. They are:
- s = ut + ½at^2 (for calculating displacement)
- v = u + at (for calculating final velocity)
- v^2 = u^2 + 2as (for calculating final velocity without time)
- s = ½(u + v)t (for calculating average velocity)
- s = vt - ½at^2 (for calculating displacement without initial velocity)

How is kinematics used in real life?

Kinematics is used in many fields, such as engineering, robotics, and sports. It helps engineers design machines and structures that move efficiently and safely. It also helps in understanding and predicting the motion of objects in everyday life, from the movement of cars on the road to the trajectory of a ball in sports.

Back