How Do You Calculate Displacement and Distance in Physics Problems?

• Thread starter aspen1234
  • Start date
In summary: Draw a line connecting the points making a triangle and then used trig to find the length (this skips the converting part).
aspen1234
Hi, I have a two questions that I am trying to figure out. If you can help me, that would be great.

1. A roller coaster moves 200 ft horizontally and then rises 135 ft at an angle of 30 above the horizontal. Next, it travels 135 ft at an angle of 40 below the horizontal. Find the roller coaster's displacement from its starting point to the end of this movement.

2. Two points are given in polar coordinates by (r, angle) = (2.00m, 50.0 angle), 2nd one is (5.00, -50 angle), respectively. What is the distance between them?

Thank you ahead of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forum rules state you must show some effort on solving the problem before you can receive help. So show us what you've tried so far and explain what is confusing you. Then we can help you out.

Have you drawn a good diagram? Start with that.

Hi, thanks for the reply. For the number one, I actually converted it Cartesian coordinates and drew out a diagram. First set of point, I got (1.29, 1.53) and the r = is 2.00. The 2nd set of polar coordination after the conversion is (3.21, -3.83) and r = 5.00. I actually got the answer by subtracting the first set of coordinate from the 2nd one and use the Pythagorean theoream but I don't understand how that actually work. Hope you can understand what I am trying to say.

As for the 2nd set of problem, I drew everything out and also find out the coordinates with the same method and try to add them all together. For some reason, the sum of the X axis of all the vectors is the answer, which also confused me.

I actually got the answer by subtracting the first set of coordinate from the 2nd one and use the Pythagorean theoream but I don't understand how that actually work. Hope you can understand what I am trying to say.
That's one way to do it. You basically just applied the distance formula from geometry. You could also just have draw a line connecting the points making a triangle and then used trig to find the length (this skips the converting part).
As for the 2nd set of problem, I drew everything out and also find out the coordinates with the same method and try to add them all together. For some reason, the sum of the X axis of all the vectors is the answer, which also confused me.
I'm not sure I follow that. You could also do this problem with trig.

Related to How Do You Calculate Displacement and Distance in Physics Problems?

What is the first problem?

The first problem is typically related to a specific scientific concept or experiment that the person needs assistance with. It is important to provide as much detail and context as possible when asking for help with a scientific problem.

What is the second problem?

The second problem is usually a separate issue or question that may or may not be related to the first problem. It is important to clearly state the problem and provide any relevant information or background knowledge.

Can you help with both problems?

As a scientist, my goal is to provide assistance and support to those seeking help with scientific problems. I will do my best to provide guidance and resources for both of the problems presented, but it ultimately depends on the complexity and scope of the issues.

What information do you need to help with the problems?

In order to effectively help with the problems, I will need a clear and detailed explanation of the issues, any relevant data or materials, and an understanding of your current knowledge and understanding of the subject matter.

Are there any resources you can recommend for further assistance?

There are many resources available for scientific help, including textbooks, online articles and videos, and scientific community forums. I can provide recommendations based on the specific problems and the individual's learning style and needs.