How Do You Calculate Displacement for an Irregular Cantilever Beam?

• Thread starter timmy996
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cantilever
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating displacement for an irregular cantilever beam with three segments and four points. The procedure involves calculating flexure and deflection for each segment, adding them to determine the total deflection at point C, and then determining the curvature and deflection for the remaining segment.
timmy996
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to calculate displacement for an irregular cantilever beam, i.e. one that is not the normal straight-beam that you would see in a textbook.

Please see the attached image. If the left end is fixed, and I want to calculate the displacement of point A due to an applied force at that point, how would I go about it?

Are you still able to use M_x = EI * d^2y/dx^2 and solve for displacement by integrating? I am not exactly sure how the geometry of the weird bended shape comes into play. Thanks.

- T

Attachments

• cannot-ilever.jpg
    cannot-ilever.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 448
Engineering news on Phys.org
The cantilever beam has three segments:
1) Horizontal segment with moment inertia I_1
2) Diagonal segment at middle with moment inertia I_2
3) Diagonal segment at end with moment inertia I_3

Note: I_2 is determined relative to global Y axis (not local Y axis). Thus, I_2>I_1 as illustrated. I_3 is not required for calculations; only its horizontal length is needed.

The beam has four points
A) At support
B) Right of segment 1
C) Right of segment 2
D) Right of segment 3

Procedure:
a) Calculate flexure and deflection over segment 2
b) Calculate flexure and deflection over segment 1
c) Add deflection 1 and 2 to give total deflection at point C
d) Determine curvature at point C
e) Determine tangent of segment 3, and thus deflection of segment 4
f) Add deflection of point step (c) to setup (e) to yield total deflection at (4)

Related to How Do You Calculate Displacement for an Irregular Cantilever Beam?

1. What is an irregular cantilever?

An irregular cantilever is a type of structural support that consists of a horizontal beam or slab that is supported at only one end, with the other end projecting outwards. It is considered "irregular" because the shape and dimensions of the cantilever are not symmetrical.

2. How does an irregular cantilever differ from a regular cantilever?

A regular cantilever is a structural support that has a symmetrical shape and dimensions, while an irregular cantilever does not. This can affect the structural stability and load-bearing capacity of the cantilever.

3. What are the potential challenges of designing an irregular cantilever?

Designing an irregular cantilever can be challenging because the asymmetrical shape and dimensions can make it difficult to calculate the load and stress distribution. Additionally, the lack of symmetry can also affect the overall aesthetic and functionality of the structure.

4. How is the load-bearing capacity of an irregular cantilever determined?

The load-bearing capacity of an irregular cantilever is determined through structural analysis and calculations. Factors such as the material strength, dimensions, and support conditions are taken into account to determine the maximum load that the cantilever can withstand without failure.

5. What are some common uses of irregular cantilevers?

Irregular cantilevers are commonly used in architecture and engineering for structures such as balconies, overhangs, and bridges. They can also be found in furniture design, such as shelves and desks, where the cantilevered portion provides support without the need for additional legs or supports.