How Do You Calculate Displacement in a Multi-Directional Jogging Route?

• Thread starter micahps
  • Start date
In summary, the jogger is approximately 4 km from the starting point and is traveling in a northwest direction.
micahps
1. A jogger runs directly east for 4 km, then turns and goes northwest for 9 km. He then travels directly south for 5 km. How far is he from the starting point? (km) In what direction is he from the starting point(measured as an angle counterwise from the east axis, units are deg)? (Northwest is the direction lying exactly half way between north and west.)

2. magnitude of displacement= A+B+C

3. I've drawn out the vectors. I'm thinking that I should find the x and y componets of each vector, add the componets, and add the square of the x and y and take the square root. I'm just unsure about how to go about doing this!

Physics news on Phys.org
You've outlined the method correctly in #3.

As you said, the first step is to calculate the components of each vector. What is the formula for this?

You will need to take into account the direction of each displacement. What are the relevant angles?

i think there is no need of vector analysis for this,we are just dealing with distance and angles so mathematical funda would be enough,maybe the diagram i have attached may show what i say...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 757
Last edited by a moderator:
Vectors are the mathematics of distances and angles. You are doing vector math right now! You mentioned vectors (and magnitude, components) so I figured you knew that.

Your diagram looks right.

Think about the 9 km northwest leg and break it down into north vs. west. In this leg how far north does the jogger go? How far west?

The 9 km on your diagram is the hypoteneus of a right triangle (one of the other angles is the 45 degree you have labeled on the right). You'll need some trig to get the answers you need.

thank you dulrich,yup that's all it needed..may micahps too understand it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for replies! I got the solution by following the steps I outlined in 3. It wasn't hard after I broke everything down.

Related to How Do You Calculate Displacement in a Multi-Directional Jogging Route?

1. What is a distance-direction problem?

A distance-direction problem is a type of problem in which you are given the distance and direction of an object or location from a reference point, and you have to calculate the coordinates or location of the object.

2. How do I solve a distance-direction problem?

To solve a distance-direction problem, you can use basic trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent, along with the given distance and direction values. You can also use the Pythagorean theorem to find the missing side of a right triangle.

3. What are the common units used in distance-direction problems?

The common units used in distance-direction problems are degrees for direction and units of length, such as meters or kilometers, for distance.

4. Can distance-direction problems be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, distance-direction problems are commonly used in real-life situations, such as navigation, surveying, and mapping.

5. How can I check if my solution to a distance-direction problem is correct?

You can check if your solution to a distance-direction problem is correct by using a calculator or computer program to verify your calculations. You can also use a map or GPS to physically check the coordinates or location of the object.