How Do You Calculate Displacement in Vector Kinematics?

• Thread starter Tiplerfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation discusses a duck paddling on a pond for a total of 2.0 minutes, covering a distance of 22m at an angle of 36 degrees North of East and then another 65m at an angle of 25 degrees East of South. The problem is to determine the duck's total distance, average speed, total displacement, and average velocity. The individual has already answered the first two questions and is unsure of how to find the displacement when angles are involved. They suggest using trigonometry or vector sum to find a displacement of 34m at an angle of 25 degrees East of South.
Tiplerfan

Homework Statement

In a total time of 2.0 min, a duck on a pond paddles 22m [36deg N of E] and then paddles another 65 m [E 25deg S].

Determine the duck's

i) total distance...I answered this.
ii) average speed...I answered this.
iii) total displacement...This is my dilema.
iv) average velocity...I can aswer this one once I know the displacement.

Homework Equations

I'm really not sure how to go about finding the displacement when angles are involved. Do I use trig or one of the formula's?

The Attempt at a Solution

Using trig on the vector diagram I came up with a displacement of 34m [E 25deg S].

Physics news on Phys.org
split the two displacements into componenets (N,W,S,E)
then sum them up (but don't forget to subtract when necessary)
I mean use vector sum :)

I can provide a response to this content by explaining the basic kinematics involved in the duck's paddle. Kinematics is the study of motion without considering its causes, and it is an important part of physics that helps us understand the movement of objects.

In this scenario, the duck's motion can be described in terms of its distance, displacement, speed, and velocity. Distance is the total length of the path traveled, while displacement is the shortest straight-line distance between the initial and final positions. Speed is the rate at which the duck covers distance, while velocity is the rate at which its displacement changes over time.

To determine the duck's total distance, we simply add the two given distances of 22m and 65m, giving us a total of 87m. Similarly, to calculate the average speed, we divide the total distance by the total time, which gives us a speed of 43.5m/min.

To find the total displacement, we need to consider both the magnitude (distance) and direction of the duck's motion. In this case, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude of the displacement, which is the square root of the sum of the squares of the two given distances. This gives us a displacement of 68.7m. To determine the direction of the displacement, we can use trigonometry to find the angle between the initial and final positions. This gives us a displacement of 68.7m [E 25deg S].

Finally, to calculate the average velocity, we divide the total displacement by the total time, which gives us a velocity of 34.35m/min [E 25deg S]. This tells us that the duck's average velocity is in the direction of its displacement, which is towards the east-southeast.

In conclusion, by understanding the basic kinematics involved in the duck's paddle, we can accurately describe and analyze its motion in terms of distance, displacement, speed, and velocity. This can be applied to any object's motion and helps us better understand the physical world around us.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Displacement in Vector Kinematics?

1. What is "Basic kinematics of duck paddle"?

"Basic kinematics of duck paddle" refers to the study of the movements and mechanics involved in a duck's swimming motion. This includes the analysis of the duck's body positioning, muscle movements, and overall propulsion while paddling in water.

2. How do ducks paddle in water?

Ducks use their feet and legs to paddle in water. They have webbed feet that help them push and move through the water. The muscles in their legs and feet contract and relax in a coordinated manner to create a swimming motion.

3. What are the key components of a duck's paddling motion?

The key components of a duck's paddling motion include the downward stroke, where the duck pushes against the water to propel itself forward, and the upward recovery stroke, where the duck brings its feet back to the starting position. The coordination and timing of these strokes are crucial for efficient paddling.

4. How does a duck's paddling motion change in different water conditions?

In rougher water conditions, ducks may use a faster and more forceful paddling motion to navigate through the waves. In calmer water, they may use a slower and more relaxed paddling motion. Ducks are able to adapt their paddling technique to different water conditions to maintain stability and efficiency.

5. Are there any unique features of a duck's paddling motion?

One unique feature of a duck's paddling motion is that they can paddle with one leg at a time, unlike most other birds that use both legs simultaneously. This allows them to make quick turns and changes in direction while swimming. Additionally, ducks have a flexible neck and can move their head independently from their body while paddling, which helps them maintain balance and navigate through obstacles in the water.

Back