How Do You Calculate Electric Field and Force in a Charged Square?

In summary, the problem involves a square with charges at each corner and asks for the magnitude and direction of the electric field at one of the corners, as well as the magnitude and direction of the force on that corner. The equations for electric field and force are given, and the attempt at a solution involves calculating the field strengths due to each individual charge and then adding them together using vector addition. Trigonometry is used to find the correct orientation of the resultant vector. The final answer for the electric field is 13.5*10^7 N/C and for the force is 21.6*10^-12 N, with a direction of SW for the electric field and an as yet undetermined direction for the force.
puzzledup

Homework Statement

A square has a charge at each corner. The square is 2cm x 2cm. In the upper left corner there is 1μc, in the upper right corner there is 2μc, the lower right corner there is 3μc, and the lower left corner there is 4μc.
A. What is the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the 4μc charge?
B. wha Tia the magnitude and direction of the force on the 4μc charge?

Homework Equations

E=kq/r^2. And F=EQ

The Attempt at a Solution

1. (9*10^9)(1*10^-6)/(.02)^2 = 2.25*10^7 N/C

2. Same process with 2*10^-6 to get. 4.5*10^7 N/ C

3. Same with 3*10^-6 to get 6.75*10^7 N/C

E net = 2.25+4.5+6.75=13.5*10^7 N/C.

But not sure how to get direction. Since they are all positive, would it be 45° SE?

For force, F=(13.5*10^7)(1.6*10^-19)=21.6*10^-12N.

How to get direction? Pythagorean to be used but how?
Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question hasn't explicitly stated that all charges are positive. This has to be assume to make it doable.

puzzledup said:

Homework Statement

A square has a charge at each corner. The square is 2cm x 2cm. In the upper left corner there is 1μc, in the upper right corner there is 2μc, the lower right corner there is 3μc, and the lower left corner there is 4μc.
A. What is the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the 4μc charge?
B. wha Tia the magnitude and direction of the force on the 4μc charge?

Homework Equations

E=kq/r^2. And F=EQ

The Attempt at a Solution

1. (9*10^9)(1*10^-6)/(.02)^2 = 2.25*10^7 N/C

Right.

2. Same process with 2*10^-6 to get. 4.5*10^7 N/ C

Wrong. What's the distance between the upper right and lower left corners?

3. Same with 3*10^-6 to get 6.75*10^7 N/C

Right.

E net = 2.25+4.5+6.75=13.5*10^7 N/C.

It's not simple addition. Electric field strength is a vector. Do vector addition.

But not sure how to get direction. Since they are all positive, would it be 45° SE?

Why SE? Shouldn't it be SW?

For force, F=(13.5*10^7)(1.6*10^-19)=21.6*10^-12N.

Isn't the charge at the lower left corner 4uC?

How to get direction? Pythagorean to be used but how?
Any help is appreciated.

Draw a force diagram. How would you add vectors?

So for 2. I should use Pythagorean - Sqrt(.02^2+.02^2)?
Ok for vector addition, tip to tail for E.
I believe SW would be right.

But what do you mean about the charge in lower left? Am I not supposed to use E times Q the constant at 1.6*10^-19? Or am I wrong about Q?

puzzledup said:
So for 2. I should use Pythagorean - Sqrt(.02^2+.02^2)?
Ok for vector addition, tip to tail for E.
I believe SW would be right.

SW is the general direction. It's not exactly SW because the magnitudes of the field strength in a Southward direction (due to the upper left corner) and that in a Westward direction (due to the lower right corner) are not identical. So you need to use trig to get the correct orientation of the resultant vector.

It's easiest to work out the equal component vectors (Southward and Westward) of the field strength due to the top right hand corner charge first. Then add up the Southern and Westward components of the three field strengths individually. Finally, use Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant, and use trig to find the direction.

But what do you mean about the charge in lower left? Am I not supposed to use E times Q the constant at 1.6*10^-19? Or am I wrong about Q?

Your (correct) units for field strength are N/C. Your charge is 4uC. How would you get the force (in Newton)?

Q the constant is in C, so would leave me with N.

This helps me a lot, Thanks so much!

Related to How Do You Calculate Electric Field and Force in a Charged Square?

1. What is an electric field in a square?

An electric field in a square is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force due to the presence of other charged particles.

2. How is the electric field strength calculated in a square?

The electric field strength in a square is calculated by dividing the force on a charged particle by its charge. This can be represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the charge of the particle.

3. What factors affect the electric field in a square?

The electric field in a square is affected by the amount and distribution of charges within the square, as well as the distance between the charges and the size of the square. The type and properties of the material surrounding the square can also affect the electric field.

4. How is the direction of the electric field in a square determined?

The direction of the electric field in a square is determined by the direction in which a positive test charge would experience a force. The field lines always point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric fields in squares?

Electric fields in squares are used in many modern technologies, such as electronic devices, power generation, and medical equipment. They are also essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of charged particles in various systems, such as in plasma physics and astrophysics.