How Do You Calculate Electrostatic Potential in a Decaying Electric Field?

In summary: But I got the potential from there so I thought it was correct.In summary, the electrostatic potential for the electric field in the region x ≥ 0 is given by: E = (E0)*e^(kxi) V/m, with E0 a constant.
Alex_Neof

Homework Statement

What is the electrostatic potential for the electric field in the region x ≥ 0 where:

E
= (E0)*e^(kxi) V/m, with E0 a constant?

(The potential at x → infinity is defined to be zero).

Homework Equations

b
v = v_a - v_b = - ∫ E . dl
a

The Attempt at a Solution

v = - ∫ (E0)*e^(kx) dx = (E0)/k.
infinity

Is this correct?

Kind regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Helo Alex,

You can check for yourself if this is correct: how do you derive an electric field from a potential ? Does that work OK for your answer ?

Oh, and did I miss a minus sign somewhere ?

Likes Alex_Neof
Thank you BvU !

Does that mean you found a potential ##E_o\over k## V gives an electric field ## \vec E = E_0 \; e^{kx} \; {\bf \hat\imath} \ ## V/m ?

Does that mean you found a potential ##E_o\over k## V gives an electric field ## \vec E = E_0 \; e^{kx} \; {\bf \hat\imath} \ ## V/m ?

So I was given the electric field:

##\overrightarrow{E} = {E_0} e^{-kx}\hat i. ##

Which is completely in the x-direction.

Now using:

## V = {V_a} - {V_b} = - \int_a^b \overrightarrow{E}.\overrightarrow{dl}, ##

with the above electric field we have:

## V = - \int_\infty^x {E_0} e^{-kx}dx = \frac{E_0} {k} e^{-kx}.##

Then using what BvU suggested:
BvU said:
Helo Alex,

You can check for yourself if this is correct: how do you derive an electric field from a potential ? Does that work OK for your answer ?

Oh, and did I miss a minus sign somewhere ?

I remembered from my notes that the electric field is related to the potential as follows:

##\overrightarrow{E} = - \nabla V.##

So to test if the potential I found is correct, I just plug it in and find:

##- (\frac{\partial V} {\partial x})=-(-{E_0} e^{-kx}\hat i) ##

Which gives us back our original Electric Field:

##\overrightarrow{E} = {E_0} e^{-kx}\hat i.##

Thanks again BvU, much appreciated!

well done !

Likes Alex_Neof
Initially my limits for integration were wrong, I had them from ##\infty## to 0.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Electrostatic Potential in a Decaying Electric Field?

1. What is electrostatic potential?

Electrostatic potential is a physical quantity that measures the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space, due to the presence of static electric charges.

2. How is electrostatic potential different from electric potential?

Electric potential is a general term that refers to the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field, which can be caused by both static and moving charges. Electrostatic potential, on the other hand, specifically refers to the potential energy per unit charge due to static charges only.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electrostatic potential?

The unit of electrostatic potential is volts (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

4. How is electrostatic potential calculated?

The electrostatic potential at a point in space is calculated by dividing the potential energy at that point by the amount of charge at that point.

5. What are some practical applications of electrostatic potential?

Electrostatic potential has many practical applications, including in the design of electronic circuits, the operation of electrostatic precipitators for air pollution control, and in medical devices such as electrocardiograms (ECGs) and electroencephalograms (EEGs).

Back