How Do You Calculate Energy and Maximum Power in Electrical Circuits?

• Thread starter mathman44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary: The equation for I=3-3V so the power would be P=IV=3V-3V^2, right?This has a maximum when dP/dV =0 = 3-6V or V=1/2.
mathman44

Homework Statement

#1 A power source produces a "sawtooth" wave of current, reversing direction at 1s. After 2s (The current starts at 0, reaches 1 amp at 1 second, reverses direction to -1 amp, and then reaches 0 again at 2 seconds), calculate the total energy supplied to a 5000 ohm resistor.

#2 Different measurements are taken by attaching various resistors R across a cell terminal and recording the voltages and corresponding currents I. From the graph, find

(a) the open circuit voltage of the cell.
(b) the short-circuit current
(c) the maximum power that the cell can deliver to an external resistance.

The graph is a negative linear line. V on the x-axis, I on the y-axis. The starting point is at () V, 3 amps) and the end point is at (1 V, 0 amps).

2. The attempt at a solution

#1 - Energy = C (charge) x V, so I'm tempted to say that energy is zero because the current is positive for the first second and negative for the second, thus they should cancel.

#2 - I'm not sure what the open/short circuits are referring to... could anyone clarify? As for c, power P = V*I, but at what point is this maximum?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, use E=I2Rt to find the energy for the two directions.

The current is not constant, so how could I use that equation? Here are the graphs I described:

asn.jpg

Bump.

rock.freak667 said:
For the first one, use E=I2Rt to find the energy for the two directions.

mathman44 said:
The current is not constant, so how could I use that equation?

Integrate: energy = ∫ power dt = ∫ I2R dt.

You know [tex]I(t)[/tex] over the relevant intervals. You said it yourself, the current is a function of time. You can't just say that [tex]\int I^2 dt = I^2 t[/tex]
That's not true when [tex]I[/tex] is a function of time!

Use the differential form:
[tex]P=\frac{dE}{dt}[/tex] to rewrite: [tex]dE=I^2 R dt[/tex] and then integrate over the relevant intervals.

Last edited:
So integrating both sides yields:

energy = ∫ I2R dt

What function am I integrating though? All I have is this graph :(...something to do with a Sin wave perhaps?

Last edited:
Find the current as a function of time over the two relevant intervals. You drew a perfect diagram of a linearly rising current, now just derive its equation!

Can I approximate the sawtooth as two integrals,
I(t) = t for t=0 to t=1
and
I(t) = t - 2 for t=1 to t=2

Doing this and integrating, I get 0 for energy.

Last edited:
Square of the current!

Oops. After squaring I(t) for both integrals, I'm getting 10000/3 for E. Does this make sense? I was expecting zero.

mathman44 said:
Oops. After squaring I(t) for both integrals, I'm getting 10000/3 for E. Does this make sense? I was expecting zero.

It's correct. The power supplied to a resistor is always positive if there is a nonzero current. if the power supplied could become negative, then the resistor would be supplying power to the battery. This power is equal to [itex] I^2R [/itex] which is always positive as well.

willem2 said:
It's correct. The power supplied to a resistor is always positive if there is a nonzero current. if the power supplied could become negative, then the resistor would be supplying power to the battery. This power is equal to [itex] I^2R [/itex] which is always positive as well.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Could someone confirm these answers for the second question?
a) 1 volt
b) 3 amp

for c)... The equation for I=3-3V so the power would be P=IV=3V-3V^2, right?

This has a maximum when dP/dV =0 = 3-6V or V=1/2.

so Pmax =(3-3(1/2))*(1/2)= 3/4?

Haha I'm in your class! but yes I got the same answers as you did for that problem.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Energy and Maximum Power in Electrical Circuits?

1. How do circuits work?

Circuits work by allowing electricity to flow through a closed loop, which is created using conductive materials such as wires and components like resistors, capacitors, and inductors. When a source of electricity, such as a battery, is connected to the circuit, it creates a voltage difference that causes the flow of electrons through the circuit. This flow of electrons is what powers devices connected to the circuit.

2. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after the other, creating a single pathway for the flow of electricity. This means that the current is the same at all points in the circuit, but the voltage is divided among the components. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, creating multiple pathways for the flow of electricity. This means that the voltage is the same at all points in the circuit, but the current is divided among the components.

3. What is the purpose of a resistor in a circuit?

A resistor is a component that limits the flow of electricity in a circuit. It is often used to control the amount of current or voltage in a circuit, as well as to protect more sensitive components from being damaged by too much electricity. Resistors are also used to create voltage dividers, which are circuits that can divide a single voltage into multiple, smaller voltages.

4. How do I calculate the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit?

To calculate voltage, use Ohm's Law: V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. To calculate current, use I = V/R. To calculate resistance, use R = V/I. These equations are based on the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit, which is known as Ohm's Law.

5. How do I troubleshoot a circuit that is not working?

First, check to make sure all components are properly connected and that there are no loose wires or damaged components. Then, use a multimeter to check for continuity and measure voltage and current at different points in the circuit. If the circuit still does not work, try replacing components one at a time to see if that fixes the issue. It is also helpful to consult a circuit diagram or seek the help of a professional if needed.

Back