How Do You Calculate Final Pressure in Connected Gas Containers?

• Thread starter FahimP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, two containers with different temperatures and pressures are connected using a thin tube, allowing the pressure and temperature to equalize. Given the initial pressures and temperatures, the final temperature is 219 K. Using the equation P1V1/T1 = PfVf/Tf, the final pressure is calculated to be around 7300. However, this answer seems to be outside of the given range of pressures. Further clarification on the units of pressure and the total amount of gas after connecting the tanks may be needed to find the correct answer.
FahimP

Homework Statement

Two containers contain the same gas at different temperatures and pressures, as indicated in the figure. The small container has a volume of 1 L, and the large container has a volume of 2 L. The two containers are then connected to each other using a thin tube, and the pressure and temperature in both containers are allowed to equalize. If the final temperature is 219 K, what is the pressure.

Givens :
P1 = 3 x10 ^ 5
P2 = 2 x 10 ^5
T1 = 600k
T2 = 200K

Homework Equations

P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used this equation to find final pressure
P1V1/T1 = PfVf / Tf
i solved for Pf and I got like 7300. I know the answer has to be between the given pressures but I don't think I am using the right equation. I also used this equation which i made up P1V1/T1 + P2V2/T2 = PfVf/Tf ---> which didnt work any advice or tips

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what units is the pressure given in?

What is total amount of gas after connecting the tanks? What is total volume?

Related to How Do You Calculate Final Pressure in Connected Gas Containers?

1. What is pressure and how is it measured?

Pressure is a measure of the amount of force applied over an area. It is typically measured in units of pascals (Pa). Other common units of pressure include atmospheres (atm) and pounds per square inch (psi).

2. How does pressure affect different objects?

The effects of pressure on different objects can vary depending on the material and structure of the object. For gases, pressure can cause them to compress or expand. Liquids are generally less affected by pressure, but it can change their density and volume. Solids can also be affected by pressure, causing them to deform or break.

3. Can pressure be both positive and negative?

Yes, pressure can be both positive and negative. Positive pressure occurs when a force is applied to an area, while negative pressure occurs when a force is pulling away from an area. Negative pressure is often referred to as suction or vacuum.

4. What factors can affect pressure?

There are several factors that can affect pressure. These include the amount of force applied, the area over which the force is applied, the temperature of the material, and the type of material. Other factors such as altitude, gravity, and external forces can also impact pressure.

5. How can pressure be used in scientific experiments or applications?

Pressure is a crucial factor in many scientific experiments and applications. It is used in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering to study the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids. Pressure can also be used in practical applications such as hydraulic systems, pneumatic tools, and weather forecasting.