How Do You Calculate Forces in a Modified Atwood Machine?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the equation for tension force, friction force, and acceleration in relation to the Atwood Machine and a pulley with a table. The person is seeking guidance and has tried multiple tutorials without success. They reference a specific example found through a Google search.
Prosercunus
1. I am trying to figure out the equation for tension force, friction force, acceleration, it looks from my very little physics knowledge is that it is based on the Atwood Machine, not the free hanging Pulley, but the pulley with the table (where one block is hanging, one is flat on the table). No inputs are given as far as I can tell, only to find the equation or formula? I can try track down a picture if required.
2. Newtons second law?
3. I have tried basically dozens of tutorials to put me on track and no dice, I just want some guidance basically

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to How Do You Calculate Forces in a Modified Atwood Machine?

What is an Atwood Machine?

An Atwood Machine is a simple mechanical device that consists of a pulley and two masses connected by a string. It is used to study the principles of motion and acceleration.

What are the equations used to describe an Atwood Machine?

The two main equations used to describe an Atwood Machine are Newton's Second Law and the Law of Conservation of Energy. Newton's Second Law states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. The Law of Conservation of Energy states that the total energy in a closed system remains constant.

How do you calculate the acceleration of an Atwood Machine?

The acceleration of an Atwood Machine can be calculated by dividing the difference in weight between the two masses by the total mass of the system. This can be represented by the equation a = (m2 - m1) / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects.

What is the tension in the string of an Atwood Machine?

The tension in the string of an Atwood Machine is equal to the weight of the two masses. This can be represented by the equation T = m1g + m2g, where T is the tension, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Can an Atwood Machine be used to illustrate the concept of equilibrium?

Yes, an Atwood Machine can be used to illustrate the concept of equilibrium. When the two masses are equal, the system is in equilibrium and there is no acceleration. This can be seen by the fact that the tension in the string is equal to the weight of the masses, and therefore the net force on the system is zero.