How Do You Calculate Forces on a Fairground Ride Ramp?

• Thread starter Chris08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation is about a fairground ride ending with a car moving up a ramp at a slope of 20 degrees to the horizontal. The homework questions involve calculating the parallel component of the weight of the car, the deceleration of the car, and the minimum length of the ramp for the car to stop.
Chris08

Homework Statement

Hi i have a question I've been doing and need to know if i am completely wrong (or not) any help woul be really appreciated.

A fairground ride ends with the car moving up aramp at a slope of 20degrees to the horizontal

Homework Equations

a)The car carrying its maximum load of passengers has a total weight of 6.8kN.Show that the component of the weight acting parallel to the ramp is about 2.3kN.

b) The mass of the fully loaded car is 690kg. Show that the force in part a will deccelerate the car at about 3.3ms^2

c) The car enters the ramp at 22ms^1.Calculate the minimum length that the ramp must be in order for the car to stop before it reaches the end.Neglect the length of the car.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok for a) i did tan20degrees =opp/adj so tan20degreesx6.8kn=adj =2.47kN (horizontal component).

b) i did parallel component = f=ma so a=2.3/690 = 3.3ms^2

c) i used v=u^2+2as = 0= (22ms^1)^2 +2(-3.3ms^2x s)
=484=-6.6xs so s =484/6.6 = 73m.

d) i am not to sure about this one can anybody help me with this please?

Thanks,Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
Part a) asks for the parallel component
c) would be solved easier with conservation of energy.
You did not post question d).

I would first like to commend you for attempting to solve these force questions. It shows that you are actively engaging with the material and trying to understand it. However, there are a few things I would like to point out in your attempt at a solution.

For part a), you correctly calculated the horizontal component of the weight, but you did not show how you got the value of 2.3kN. To show this, you can simply multiply the weight (6.8kN) by the sine of the angle (20 degrees), as the weight is acting in the opposite direction of the ramp. This would give you a value of 2.33kN, which is approximately 2.3kN as stated in the problem.

For part b), you have correctly calculated the acceleration, but you have not shown how you got the value of 3.3ms^2. To show this, you can simply divide the horizontal component of the weight (2.3kN) by the mass of the car (690kg). This would give you a value of approximately 0.0033ms^2, which is equivalent to 3.3ms^2 as stated in the problem.

For part c), you have correctly used the equation v^2=u^2+2as, but you have made a small mistake in the units. The initial velocity (u) is given in units of meters per second (ms^-1), but you have squared it and then multiplied it by the acceleration (a) in units of meters per second squared (ms^-2). This would give you a value of meters per second cubed (ms^-3) instead of meters (m). To correct this, you can simply square the initial velocity and then divide by the acceleration, which would give you a value of approximately 148m.

For part d), I am assuming you are being asked to calculate the length of the ramp. In order to do this, you can use the equation s=ut+0.5at^2, where s is the distance (length of the ramp), u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration (which we calculated to be 3.3ms^2), and t is the time it takes for the car to stop. We already know the initial velocity (22ms^-1) and the acceleration (3.3ms^2), so we just need to calculate

Related to How Do You Calculate Forces on a Fairground Ride Ramp?

1. How do you determine the net force in a problem with multiple forces?

The net force is determined by adding all of the individual forces acting on an object together. If the forces are acting in the same direction, you will add them together. If they are acting in opposite directions, you will subtract the smaller force from the larger force to find the net force.

2. What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces?

Balanced forces are forces that are equal in size and opposite in direction, resulting in a net force of zero. Unbalanced forces are forces that are either not equal in size or are acting in different directions, resulting in a net force that causes a change in an object's motion.

3. How do you calculate the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is calculated using the equation F = mg, where m is the mass of the object and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth). This equation only applies to objects near the surface of the Earth. For objects in space, the equation is F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

4. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Weight can change depending on the strength of gravity, but mass remains constant.

5. How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you first identify the object in question and all of the forces acting on it. Then, you draw a dot to represent the object and draw arrows to represent each force, labeling them with their respective magnitudes and directions. Make sure the arrows are proportional in length to the size of the force they represent.