How Do You Calculate Hole Size from Leak Rate in a Vacuum Vessel?

In summary, the conversation is about a new member introducing themselves to the forum and asking for help with calculating the size of a circular hole in a vacuum vessel. They have found formulas online but are unsure of their understanding. The moderator suggests moving the discussion to a more appropriate thread and asks for clarification on which specific formula the member is struggling with.
carogelso
Hey everyone!Here's my first post in the forum!You probably usually discuss more substantial issues, but I'm having troubles and I'm sure you can help me!I'm trying to calculate the size of an ideal circular hole in a vacuum vessel given the measured leak rate in mbar l/s (helium spray leak test if anyone is familiar). I found a lot of documents online correlating "hole diameters" to the rates but I just found formulas which were unclear to me! Thank you in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

This thread about introducing new members is just this: an opportunity to say something about you and your background.
For the technical questions we have separate threads which are far better suited, for they address the right persons for your questions.
I'll move it therefore and perhaps you could tell us, what about or which formula you don't understand, since otherwise there will be a high probability, that you get merely another instance of "I found a lot of documents online correlating "hole diameters" to the rates ".

Related to How Do You Calculate Hole Size from Leak Rate in a Vacuum Vessel?

1. What is the relationship between hole size and leak rate?

The size of a hole directly affects the leak rate. Generally, the larger the hole, the greater the leak rate will be. This is because a larger hole allows for more air or fluid to escape, resulting in a faster leak.

2. How does the shape of a hole impact the leak rate?

The shape of a hole can also affect the leak rate. A round hole will have a more uniform flow and a consistent leak rate, while a non-round hole may have variations in the leak rate depending on the shape and size of the opening.

3. Is there a standard measurement for hole size and leak rate?

There is no standard measurement for hole size and leak rate, as it can vary depending on the type of material, pressure, and other factors. However, there are formulas and calculations that can be used to estimate the leak rate based on the size and shape of a hole.

4. How can I determine the size of a hole based on the leak rate?

To determine the size of a hole based on the leak rate, you can use a leak rate calculator or perform calculations using the appropriate equations. You will need to know the type of material, pressure, and other factors to accurately determine the size of the hole.

5. Can a smaller hole have a higher leak rate than a larger hole?

Yes, it is possible for a smaller hole to have a higher leak rate than a larger hole. This can occur if the smaller hole has a higher pressure or if it is located in a more vulnerable area, such as a joint or crack in a material. It is important to consider all factors when determining the leak rate of a hole.