How Do You Calculate Initial Velocities for Projectiles?

In summary: The projectile has an initial upward velocity of 2 meters per second and a resultant velocity of 2 meters per second.
Oceanspire
Poster has been reminded to show their Attempt at a Solution
1. You launch a projectile from a wall that is 2 meters in height. It lands on the ground 2 seconds later.

-What is the initial upward velocity of the projectile at the moment of launch?
-What is the initial resultant velocity of the projectile at the moment of launch?2. Equations given:
- v = at
- d = (1/2)at2
- t2 = d/a

I tried using the last equation to find the acceleration, but I can't seem to figure it out at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your third equation disagrees with your second.
You need to show some attempt, as per the template and guidelines.

haruspex said:
Your third equation disagrees with your second.
You need to show some attempt, as per the template and guidelines.
This is my homework assignment and these are the equations that were given to me to use but I don't know how. I just need help. I don't know where to start.

Oceanspire said:
I tried using the last equation to find the acceleration
Presumably the setting is the surface of the Earth, so you don't need to find the acceleration, it is already known.
It doesn't say, but I assume you are only asked to find the vertical velocity. There's not enough information to find any horizontal component.
The second question makes no sense. Is that the exact wording?

haruspex said:
Presumably the setting is the surface of the Earth, so you don't need to find the acceleration, it is already known.
It doesn't say, but I assume you are only asked to find the vertical velocity. There's not enough information to find any horizontal component.
The second question makes no sense. Is that the exact wording?
Yes, except the first question which I'll fix in a second. I forgot to add that I want to find the initial upward velocity

Oceanspire said:
Yes, except the first question which I'll fix in a second. I forgot to add that I want to find the initial upward velocity
Ok.
For the first question:
The first thing to do is choose your coordinate system. Which do you want to make the positive direction, down or up? (Up is sort of standard, but it's your choice.)
You know the acceleration (which is?)
You know the time.
What is the net change in height (d)?
The equation you quote, d = (1/2)at2, is not general enough. It assumes starting from rest, which is not the case here. Can you quote a more standard 'SUVAT' equation?

The second question still makes no sense. My guess is they meant to ask for the velocity just before hitting the ground.

Related to How Do You Calculate Initial Velocities for Projectiles?

What is upward velocity?

Upward velocity is the speed at which an object is moving in an upward direction. It is measured in distance per unit of time, such as meters per second or feet per minute.

What is resultant velocity?

Resultant velocity is the combination of both the horizontal and vertical components of an object's velocity. It is the overall speed and direction of the object's movement.

How is upward velocity calculated?

Upward velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in the object's vertical position by the amount of time it takes to make that change. This can be represented by the formula: upward velocity = change in vertical position / time.

How is resultant velocity calculated?

Resultant velocity can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (resultant velocity) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (horizontal and vertical velocity components). This can be represented by the formula: resultant velocity = √(horizontal velocity^2 + vertical velocity^2).

Can upward velocity and resultant velocity be negative?

Yes, both upward velocity and resultant velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction. For example, a downward velocity would be represented as a negative value.