How Do You Calculate Input Impedance for a Transmission Line with an LC Circuit?

In summary, In order to find the input impedance for a transmission line, you first need to find the Zo of the line, which is the same for the entire line. Then, you would need to find the input impedance seen from the very far left of the circuit. This is basic circuit theory.
Lunat1c
Hi,

I have a couple questions regarding a homework problem and would really appreciate some help.

Consider the lossless 50ohm transmission line shown below, which has an LC circuit inserted at some point along the line. If I want to find the input impedance how would I approach this problem? As far as I know, the characteristic impedance (Zo) is the same throughout the line since its independent of the length of the line. I'm thinking I should first treat the LC load as my load, take length=0.06lambda and find the input impedance as seen from the very far left of the circuit. Then I would do the same thing on the second part of the circuit and just add the two impedances, however I'm not sure if this is the correct reasoning.

Edit: I think that the two impedances found out with the above method might have to be considered in parallel to each other not in series.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/4592/circuitdiagram.th.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start from the right. Find the input impedance for the transmission line to the right of the LC part. Then combine that impedance with the LC part to get a load impedance for the transission line on the left.

Ok so the Zin I get would be in series with j30 and in parallel with -j200?

no

First, let's name this "Zin2" to distinguish it from the Zin from the picture you posted.

"Zin2" would go between the circles on the rightmost dotted line.

This is in series with j30, but not in parallel with the capactor. This is basic circut theory!

sorry I misread. ok, I agree that Zin2 would be in series with j30. But wouldn't j30+Zin2 be in parallel with -j200 then?

Sorry, I had made a mistake writing and I just fixed it. Zin2 should be in series with j30.

Zin2 + j30 is in parallel with -j200

No problem at all. I totally agree with you. Thanks for your help.

Related to How Do You Calculate Input Impedance for a Transmission Line with an LC Circuit?

1. How is input impedance calculated?

The input impedance is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that impedance (Z) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). This can be represented by the equation Z = V/I.

2. What is the significance of calculating input impedance?

Calculating input impedance is important for understanding the behavior of electronic circuits. It helps determine the amount of resistance that a circuit presents to an input signal, and can help with designing and troubleshooting circuits.

3. What factors affect the input impedance of a circuit?

The input impedance is affected by the components in a circuit, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. The type and value of these components can impact the overall input impedance of the circuit.

4. How does input impedance differ from output impedance?

Input impedance refers to the resistance of a circuit to an input signal, while output impedance refers to the resistance of a circuit to an output signal. Output impedance is typically lower than input impedance, as the output signal is usually stronger than the input signal.

5. Can input impedance be adjusted?

Yes, input impedance can be adjusted by changing the components in a circuit. For example, adding a resistor in series can increase the input impedance, while adding a resistor in parallel can decrease it. Different circuits and applications may require different input impedance values.