How Do You Calculate Instantaneous Power in Electric Circuits?

In summary, VitaX is having difficulty calculating instantaneous power. He is looking at a website and trying to find a simpler equation, but is having difficulty.
VitaX

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/7201/electriccircuits113.png

Homework Equations

p = dW/dt; p = vi; W = Integral (p(t)) dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I think for the most part I got parts a and b correct. What I'm having significant trouble with is part c. The answer in the back of the book is 42.678 W. I believe I have to find power first, then find the energy from integrating that power and lastly take the derivative with respect to time in order to find the instantaneous power. The only thing is, what values of t are even present to plug in at the end to find the answer to part c? I'm getting confused on this one, badly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi VitaX! :smile:
VitaX said:
… what values of t are even present to plug in at the end to find the answer to part c?

You should get a formula for power flow, as a function of t …

then just find the maximum. :wink:

But if you're still having difficulty, show us your full calculations so far :smile:

Well I'm looking at this http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/powerac.html

Instantaneous Power = Vm*Im*Cos(theta)*Sin^2(wt) - Vm*Im*Sin(theta)*Sin(wt)*Cos(wt)

I know to find t I would have to plug in my values and then proceed to take the derivative and set equation equal to zero, but I'm having a lot of difficulty even attempting to take the derivative of this equation. Isn't there a way to simply this down somewhat for ease of use?

Edit: Nevermind with part C, I believe the teacher just wanted us to find the max using a graphing method.

Last edited:
Hi VitaX! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
VitaX said:
Edit: Nevermind with part C, I believe the teacher just wanted us to find the max using a graphing method.

For future reference, it would have been easier just to use P = VI and the original formulas,

V = 10sin(2π103t), I = 10sin(2π103t - 45°) = (10/√2)(sin(2π103t) - cos(2π103t)) :wink:

Also that formula for P from hyperphysics isn't very informative …

an easier formula (from the PF Library on https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=303") is

[tex]P = VI =\ V_{max}I_{max}\cos(\omega t + \phi/2)\cos(\omega t - \phi/2)[/tex]
[tex]=\ V_{max}I_{max}(\cos\phi + \cos2\omega t)/2[/tex]​
(because [itex]2cosAcosB = cos(A-B) + cos(A+B))[/itex])
[tex]=\ V_{rms}I_{rms}(\cos\phi + \cos2\omega t)[/tex]​

which clearly separates the constant part and the variable part :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

I would first like to commend you for attempting to solve this problem on your own and for seeking clarification when you encounter difficulties. It shows a great level of dedication and critical thinking skills.

In order to solve part c of this problem, we need to use the equation p = dW/dt, which relates power (p) to the rate of change of energy (dW/dt). In this case, we are given the power as a function of time (p(t)), so we need to integrate this function with respect to time in order to find the total energy (W) over the given time period.

Once we have the total energy, we can differentiate it with respect to time to find the instantaneous power at any given time. In this case, the time period given is from 0 to 4 seconds, so we need to plug in these values for t in order to find the total energy. This will give us a value in Joules (J).

Next, we need to differentiate this value with respect to time to find the instantaneous power at any given time. This means we need to take the derivative of the function we found for the total energy with respect to time. This will give us a function for instantaneous power (p(t)).

Finally, we need to plug in the value of 4 seconds for t in order to find the instantaneous power at that time. This will give us the answer of 42.678 W, which is the same as the answer given in the back of the book.

In summary, to solve part c of this problem, we need to integrate the power function with respect to time to find the total energy, differentiate the total energy with respect to time to find the instantaneous power function, and then plug in the given time value to find the instantaneous power at that time. I hope this helps clarify the steps needed to solve this problem.

Related to How Do You Calculate Instantaneous Power in Electric Circuits?

1. What is an electric circuit problem?

An electric circuit problem is a type of scientific problem involving the analysis and troubleshooting of electrical circuits. These problems can range from simple, single-loop circuits to more complex circuits with multiple components.

2. What are the common components of an electric circuit?

The common components of an electric circuit include a power source (such as a battery or generator), conductors (such as wires), resistors, capacitors, and switches. Other components may also be present depending on the specific circuit.

3. How do you solve an electric circuit problem?

To solve an electric circuit problem, you first need to identify the components in the circuit and their respective values. Then, you can use various laws and equations (such as Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws) to analyze the circuit and determine the current, voltage, and power at different points. Finally, you can use this information to troubleshoot any issues or make necessary adjustments.

4. What are some common challenges when solving electric circuit problems?

Some common challenges when solving electric circuit problems include identifying the correct components and their values, understanding and applying the relevant laws and equations, and troubleshooting issues with the circuit. It is also important to have a good understanding of electrical principles and concepts.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving electric circuit problems?

To improve your skills in solving electric circuit problems, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of circuits and their components. You can also study and understand the relevant laws and equations, and seek help from other experts or references when faced with challenging problems.