How Do You Calculate Jimmy's Car Distance and Height on the Ramp?

In summary, the problem involves Jimmy sitting in a 500kg car with two rockets producing a 4000N force. Neglecting air resistance and friction, the car travels a quarter mile track with a ramp at the end. Using various equations, it can be determined that Jimmy's final velocity is 113.28 m/s at the edge of the ramp, and he reaches a maximum height of 106m. The total distance traveled by the car is 1,460m.
Remulak
Help Please!

Homework Statement

Jimmy is sitting in a 500kg car at the start of a quarter mile track, with a ramp at the end. His car also has two rockets strapped to the side of it. They each produce a 4000N force, and will burn until Jimmy cuts them off at the end of a quarter mile, and goes up the 10m high 25 degree ramp. Neglect air resistance and friction from tires.

Homework Equations

pretty much every linear and projectile equation
f = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

1/4 mile = 402m
m = 500kg, force = 8000n F = ma acceleration = 16 m/s^2
Plug 16m/s^2 into x-xo= vt -1/2at^2, solve for t = 7.08s, vf=vo + at, solve for final velocity gives 113.28m/s, when onto the ramp his velocities are 113.28sin25 and 113.28cos25 for the x and y components. When at the top of the ramp, use vf^2 = vo^2 + 2a(delta y) which gives 45.77 m/s for initial velocity in y direction. For max height, vyf = vyo - gt set vf = 0 gives 4.67s to reach peak height. y - yo = vt - 1/2gt^2, gives 106 m. Does this all look right? and how do I solve for the total distance?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming the problem is implying that the final velocity you derived (which appears correct) is the final velocity at the edge of the ramp in the appropriate directional vector, as you also have assumed.

The x-component of his velocity vector remains unchanged right? The only force is gravity which affects the y-component. So find out how long he's in the air, and find out how far in the x-direction he can move in that time.

Be careful about what you consider the ground to be...

would it be 14.22 seconds for him to come back to the ground? using a quadratic i found it was 9.55 seconds for him to reach 10m again from which he started. Then 0 = 45.77 - gt gives 4.67 seconds to finish the trip. 9.55 + 4.67 = 14.22 seconds.

Last edited:
At the top of the ramp, one has a standard problem of a projectile with initial velocity at a given angle, starting at some elevation (10 m) about the final elevation.

On the ramp make sure the acceleration (or deceleration) takes into account the angle.

For reference - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj

Taking off from the top of the ramp - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html#tra9

Last edited by a moderator:
do my values look correct? thanks for the link by the way. I got 1,460 m for his distance traveled after the ramp and 106m for the height.

I know how to do projectile motion questions but I'm confused on how to find the velocities at the top of the ramp because the car already has a velocity going up the ramp.

The car has a kinetic energy at the beginning of the ramp, and decreases its KE as it increases its gravitational PE (mgh).

Or one could calculate the V at the beginning of the ramp and the use the deceleration up the ramp to determine the V at the end of the ramp. The acceleration is simply for gravitational force component pointing down the ramp divided by the mass of the car.

The length of the ramp can be found by the height 10 m and the sin of the angle above the horizontal.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Jimmy's Car Distance and Height on the Ramp?

What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation that represents a straight line on a graph. It consists of two variables, x and y, and a constant, typically represented as y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

How is a projectile equation different from a linear equation?

A projectile equation is a special type of linear equation that describes the motion of an object in a parabolic path, such as a ball being thrown into the air. It takes into account the effects of gravity and air resistance, making it more complex than a standard linear equation.

What are the variables in a projectile equation?

The variables in a projectile equation are distance (x), time (t), initial velocity (v0), acceleration due to gravity (g), and initial height (y0). These variables are used to calculate the position of the object at any given time during its motion.

How is a projectile equation used in real-life applications?

Projectile equations are used in a variety of real-life situations, such as predicting the trajectory of a rocket or missile, calculating the motion of a ball in sports, and determining the optimal angle for a ramp or roller coaster. They are also used in physics and engineering to understand the motion of objects in free fall or under the influence of external forces.

What are some common misconceptions about linear and projectile equations?

One common misconception is that linear and projectile equations can only be used for objects moving in a straight line. In reality, these equations can also be used to model the motion of objects in two or three dimensions. Another misconception is that these equations can accurately predict the exact motion of an object. In reality, they are simplified models that may not account for all variables and factors in a real-life scenario.

Back