How Do You Calculate Matrix Powers and Roots?

In summary: Apparently you don't understand. What we're saying is that you need to start reading your textbook to find out how this is done. This process is more complicated than finding a formula and plugging in numbers.eigen values are 0 and 9 (twice). can I found the A100 from diagonal matrix ?First of all, you need to determine IF the matrix is "diagonalizable". If you had three distinct eigenvalues, this would not be an issue, but when you have a repeated eigenvalue (as you do here), sometimes the matrix is diagonalizable, and sometimes not. What other information do you need to know in order to figure out whether the matrix is diagonalizable?
math 2015

Homework Statement

I. 3*3 matrix A (8 2 -2, 2 5 4, -2 4 5)

II. 3*3 matrix (1 2 0, -1 -2 0, 3 5 1)

Homework Equations

I. Solve Aexp 100 of 3*3
II. Find the 5th rooth of B matrix

The Attempt at a Solution

I. I got stuck at diagonalising the matrix. Is this OK 1st step ? If yes, what should I do next

II. Also here i started with diagonalising the matrix.

Physics news on Phys.org
Diagonalising the matrix is the first step.

math 2015 said:

Homework Statement

I. 3*3 matrix A (8 2 -2, 2 5 4, -2 4 5)

II. 3*3 matrix (1 2 0, -1 -2 0, 3 5 1)

Homework Equations

I. Solve Aexp 100 of 3*3
What is this even supposed to mean? ##Ae^{100}##? ##A^{100}##?
II. Find the 5th rooth of B matrix

The Attempt at a Solution

I. I got stuck at diagonalising the matrix. Is this OK 1st step ? If yes, what should I do next

II. Also here i started with diagonalising the matrix.

vela said:
What is this even supposed to mean? ##Ae^{100}##? ##A^{100}##?
Or, perhaps, ##e^{100A}##?

A100

OK, so what did you get for diagonalization? Where are you stuck trying to diagonalize it?

4 TIMES second row and 4 times 3rd row and distract from first row ?

1) Find the eigenvalues.
2) Find the eigenvectors

How ?

Seriously? You were given a problem like this and do not know how to find eigenvalues and eigenvectors? Do you know what "eigenvalues" and "eigenvectors" are? If not then I guess you will just have to start multiplying matrix A by itself!

math 2015 said:
How ?

HallsofIvy said:
Seriously? You were given a problem like this and do not know how to find eigenvalues and eigenvectors? Do you know what "eigenvalues" and "eigenvectors" are? If not then I guess you will just have to start multiplying matrix A by itself!
@math 2015, if you do not know how to find eigenvalues and eigenvectors, crack open your textbook to find out how these operations are done. Your textbook should have several examples showing the steps. If you have any questions after you have done your reading, you can ask them here, but this forum is not intended to teach you how to carry out these operations.

I understand. What is the basic formula for calculating A100 finding the eigenvalues. Thank you all.I am new here. Do not be to harsh toward me. Thanks

math 2015 said:
I understand. What is the basic formula for calculating A100 finding the eigenvalues. Thank you all.I am new here. Do not be to harsh toward me. Thanks
Apparently you don't understand. What we're saying is that you need to start reading your textbook to find out how this is done. This process is more complicated than finding a formula and plugging in numbers.

eigen values are 0 and 9 (twice). can I found the A100 from diagonal matrix ?

math 2015 said:
eigen values are 0 and 9 (twice). can I found the A100 from diagonal matrix ?

First of all, you need to determine IF the matrix is "diagonalizable". If you had three distinct eigenvalues, this would not be an issue, but when you have a repeated eigenvalue (as you do here), sometimes the matrix is diagonalizable, and sometimes not. What other information do you need to know in order to figure out whether the matrix is diagonalizable?

I would be willing to bet that this material is discussed in your textbook and/or course notes. People are suggesting that you actually read the material you have available; that is really the only way to learn.

If you do NOT have such material available to you (for some mysterious, hard-to-understand reason), please tell us. In that case we can suggest further on-line reading for you to pursue. Note, however, that our just telling you what formulas to use, etc., would not make sense: other writers/teachers have already written up this material and put it on line.

Likes Mark44

Related to How Do You Calculate Matrix Powers and Roots?

1. What is a root of a matrix?

The root of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by itself a certain number of times, results in the original matrix.

2. Can all matrices have roots?

No, not all matrices have roots. A matrix must be square (i.e. have the same number of rows and columns) and have a determinant that is not equal to zero in order to have a root.

3. How do you find the root of a matrix?

To find the root of a matrix, you must use the process of matrix exponentiation. This involves raising the matrix to a certain power (determined by the root) and then solving for the root by using methods such as diagonalization or eigendecomposition.

4. What is an exponent of a matrix?

The exponent of a matrix is a number that represents the number of times the matrix is multiplied by itself. For example, an exponent of 2 means the matrix is multiplied by itself twice, while an exponent of 3 means the matrix is multiplied by itself three times.

5. Can any number be used as the exponent of a matrix?

No, not every number can be used as the exponent of a matrix. The exponent must be a positive integer in order to have a meaningful result. Negative exponents and non-integer exponents are not valid for matrices.