How Do You Calculate Maximum Car Speed Against Resistance and Incline?

In summary, we have a car of mass 750kg with a maximum power of 30kW and a constant resistance to motion of 800N. The maximum speed of the car is 37.5m/s when moving on level ground and maintaining a constant speed against the resistance force. The kinetic energy remains constant at maximum velocity. The equation used to calculate the speed is v = P/F, where P is the maximum power provided by the car and F is the resistance force.
Traycee John

Homework Statement

A car of mass 750kg has a maximum power of 30kW and moves against a constant resistance to motion of 800N. Find the the maximum speed of the car:
i) on level
ii) Up an incline of S-1 1/10 to the horizontal

Homework Equations

K.E = 1/2mv2
GPE = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to approach this problem as I am just learning about the topic of Energy and Power on my own for a course to get extra creds. I've looked in a couple texts and online to get an idea of how to approach these kind of equations but they all leave me confused. How would you approach this question? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You must have some thoughts on this. What are they? If the speed of the car is v, in terms of v, how much power is being exerted against the constant resistance?

Chestermiller said:
You must have some thoughts on this. What are they? If the speed of the car is v, in terms of v, how much power is being exerted against the constant resistance?

Well, so far, what I think I got is the force the car uses to accelerate which is mg (750*9.8). Using the equation Power=F*v, I guess the velocity would be v=P/F?

Traycee John said:
Well, so far, what I think I got is the force the car uses to accelerate which is mg (750*9.8). Using the equation Power=F*v, I guess the velocity would be v=P/F?
mg is the weight of the car. How is that related to its forward acceleration in part (i)? Is the kinetic energy of the car changing once it reaches maximum velocity? The rate of power consumed against the resistance is equal to the resistance force (800 N) times the velocity, right? If the car has reached maximum speed, how is maximum rate of power provided by the car related to the rate of power consumed against the resistance?

Chestermiller said:
mg is the weight of the car. How is that related to its forward acceleration in part (i)? Is the kinetic energy of the car changing once it reaches maximum velocity? The rate of power consumed against the resistance is equal to the resistance force (800 N) times the velocity, right?

Yes, mg would be the gravitational force of the car. It's related to the forward acceleration as it more than the constant resistance of 800N. As a body on level ground, with the perpendicular forces in equilibrium, the total net force would be 800N+Mg which requires a power of 30kW for it's forward acceleration, I'm assuming? The Kinetic energy is not changing as the motion is constant. What would this mean for the net Kinetic energy? Energy is being lost, but I don't know how much.

Chestermiller said:
If the car has reached maximum speed, how is maximum rate of power provided by the car related to the rate of power consumed against the resistance?

The maximum rate of power provided by the car would be lower than the rate of power consumed against the resistance, as the car needs more power to get to maximum velocity against the resistance? I'm not sure to to utilise the equation k=1/2mv2

This is what I attempted to do:
Fnet=(750*9.8)+800
P=Fv, hence, v=P/v
Therefore, 30000/8150=v
3.68m/s=v

Traycee John said:
Yes, mg would be the gravitational force of the car. It's related to the forward acceleration as it more than the constant resistance of 800N. As a body on level ground, with the perpendicular forces in equilibrium, the total net force would be 800N+Mg which requires a power of 30kW for it's forward acceleration, I'm assuming? The Kinetic energy is not changing as the motion is constant. What would this mean for the net Kinetic energy? Energy is being lost, but I don't know how much.
The 800 N is in the horizontal direction and the mg is in the vertical direction. They can't be included together. The work and power in the vertical direction are zero, because the displacement in the vertical direction is zero. At maximum velocity, the 30 kW are not being used to accelerate the car. It is just being used to maintain a constant speed against the resistance force.
The maximum rate of power provided by the car would be lower than the rate of power consumed against the resistance, as the car needs more power to get to maximum velocity against the resistance?
At the maximum velocity, the maximum rate of power provided is equal to the rate of power consumed against the resistance.
I'm not sure to to utilise the equation k=1/2mv2
You don't need to use it because the kinetic energy is constant at maximum velocity.
This is what I attempted to do:
Fnet=(750*9.8)+800
P=Fv, hence, v=P/v
Therefore, 30000/8150=v
3.68m/s=v
This isn't correct. the 750*9.8 shouldn't be in there. Did you really think that the maximum velocity of the car was only 3.68 m/s?

Chestermiller said:
The 800 N is in the horizontal direction and the mg is in the vertical direction. They can't be included together. The work and power in the vertical direction are zero, because the displacement in the vertical direction is zero. At maximum velocity, the 30 kW are not being used to accelerate the car. It is just being used to maintain a constant speed against the resistance force.
At the maximum velocity, the maximum rate of power provided is equal to the rate of power consumed against the resistance.

You don't need to use it because the kinetic energy is constant at maximum velocity.

This isn't correct. the 750*9.8 shouldn't be in there. Did you really think that the maximum velocity of the car was only 3.68 m/s?

Thank you very much for the insight! I understand what you're saying hahaa. So the equation needed for this problem is P=f/v?

Using the equation:
P=Fv
v=P/F
v=30000/800
v=37.5m/s

Is this correct? I'm sorry, but this is actually the first time I'm coming across this Topic and Physics in general!

Traycee John said:
Thank you very much for the insight! I understand what you're saying hahaa. So the equation needed for this problem is P=f/v?

Using the equation:
P=Fv
v=P/F
v=30000/800
v=37.5m/s

Is this correct? I'm sorry, but this is actually the first time I'm coming across this Topic and Physics in general!
Much better !

Chestermiller said:
Much better !

Yes, the original equations kind of threw me off because those are what were given on the sheet of paper I had.

Anyway, I attempted the second part:
ii)Up an incline of Sin-1 1/10 to the horizontal

In the horizontal direction we have the Constant force of Resistance of 800N and the force due to the incline (mgsin(thetha)).

mgsin(sin-11/10)=735
Fnet=735+800
=1535N
v=P/F
v=30000/1535
v=19.5m/s

Does this seem correct? Thanks for your help once again, it was much appreciated! :smile:

Chestermiller said:
Much better !

Yes, the original equations kind of threw me off because those are what were given on the sheet of paper I had.

In the horizontal direction we have the Constant force of Resistance of 800N and the force due to the incline (mgsin(thetha)).

mgsin(sin-11/10)=735
Fnet=735+800
=1535N
v=P/F
v=30000/1535
v=19.5m/s

Does this seem correct? Thanks for your help once again, it was much appreciated! :smile:

Traycee John said:

mgsin(sin-11/10)=735
Fnet=735+800
=1535N
v=P/F
v=30000/1535
v=19.5m/s

Very nice.

Chestermiller said:
Very nice.

Have a great night, Sir. I think I am ready for my Midterm paper tomorrow! :)

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Maximum Car Speed Against Resistance and Incline?

What is the difference between energy and power?

Energy and power are closely related concepts but have different meanings. Energy is the ability to do work, while power is the rate at which work is done. In other words, energy is the capacity to perform work, and power is the measure of how fast that work can be done.

What are the main sources of energy and power?

The main sources of energy and power are fossil fuels (such as coal, oil, and natural gas), nuclear energy, and renewable sources (such as solar, wind, hydro, and geothermal energy). These sources are used to generate electricity, which is then used to power homes, businesses, and industries.

What are some common energy and power problems?

Some common energy and power problems include energy shortages, high energy costs, and environmental concerns related to the use of fossil fuels. Other issues include the need for more sustainable and renewable sources of energy, as well as the challenge of meeting the growing demand for energy globally.

How can we reduce our energy and power consumption?

There are many ways to reduce energy and power consumption, including using energy-efficient appliances and devices, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using public transportation or carpooling, and adopting renewable energy sources. Energy conservation and efficiency measures can also help reduce the demand for energy and power.

What are some potential solutions to the energy and power problem?

Some potential solutions to the energy and power problem include investing in renewable energy sources, improving energy efficiency, and promoting sustainable energy practices. Government policies and regulations can also play a role in addressing this issue, as well as technological advancements and innovations in the energy sector.