How Do You Calculate Maximum Shear Stress in an I-Beam?

In summary, the maximum shear stress occurs at the location of the applied point load as this is the point of maximum bending moment.
Nexus305
I was working on a question where I had to find the maximum shear stress in a I-beam due to a shear force applied on it. Heres the question :

An I girder 600 mm x 300 mm has flanges 25 mm thick and a web 13 mm thick. Find the maximum shear stress due to a shear force of 500 kN and compare this value with the common approximation.

For this my lecturer used this equation : τ = F/Ib ∫ y1600/2 y dA and he took y1=0

Can someone please explain how to use this equation because I don't understand the integration part from ybarA to 600/2. I don't understand how he got the limits of the integration.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well your lecturer is using the horizontal shear stress formula

[tex]{S_s} = \frac{V}{{Ib}}\int\limits_{{y_1}}^c {ydA} [/tex]

for horizontal shear at a distance y from the neutral axis, under vertical shear V

The first limit is taken a zero because the shear in the web is neglected as insignificant so y1 corresponds to the underside of the flange.

The second limit c is the distance from the neutral axis to the free surface of the beam, thus c=600/2

I have another doubt. In such a situation, where exactly in the I-beam does the maximum shear stress occur?

The shear stress in a beam subjected to a point load is constant across the entire length of the beam assuming the load is applied at midspan.

Unless your talking about shear flow caused by bending of the beam. In this case the maximum shear occurs at the location of the applied point load as this is the point of maximum bending moment.

Welcome anicolajsen
I think you will find the subject here is about the stress distribution across the section, not the beam length. No infomation as to the nature and location of the loads and supports was provided. Would you regard the I section specified as in need of wide flange corrections?

Related to How Do You Calculate Maximum Shear Stress in an I-Beam?

What is the Shear Stress equation in Beams?

The Shear Stress equation in Beams is a mathematical formula that calculates the maximum stress that a beam can handle due to shear forces. It takes into account the material properties of the beam, the cross-sectional area, and the applied force.

How is the Shear Stress equation in Beams derived?

The Shear Stress equation in Beams is derived from the fundamental principles of mechanics and is based on the assumption that the beam is in a state of equilibrium. The equation is also derived from the Shear Strain equation and the Hook's Law.

What are the units of the Shear Stress equation in Beams?

The units of the Shear Stress equation in Beams are typically measured in Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m²). However, in some cases, it can also be measured in pounds per square inch (psi) or kiloPascals (kPa).

What are the factors that affect the Shear Stress in Beams?

The Shear Stress in Beams is affected by several factors, including the material properties of the beam, the length of the beam, the cross-sectional area, and the applied force. Other factors such as temperature, corrosion, and vibrations can also affect the Shear Stress in Beams.

Why is the Shear Stress equation important in engineering and construction?

The Shear Stress equation is essential in engineering and construction as it helps determine the maximum load capacity of a beam and ensures the beam's safe design. It also helps engineers and architects make informed decisions about the materials and dimensions of beams to be used in a structure.