How Do You Calculate Missing Factors in Process Calibration?

• Thread starter buddylee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is asking for help converting the missing factors in the given items, using linear interpolation. The missing factors are the current process reading for an output signal of 4-20 mA and a current signal reading of 12 mA, a current process reading for an output signal of 4-20 mA and a current signal reading of 14 mA, a current process reading for an output signal of 4-20 mA and a current signal reading of __ mA, and a current process reading for an output signal of 3-15 PSI and a current signal reading of 6 PSI.
buddylee
Can some one please explain how to do this. i want to understand how to do this and the book really doesn't explain it.

Convert the following to find the missing factors in the items below.

Process Range-----Output Signal-----Current Process Reading--Current Signal Reading
Example 0-50 PSIG----- 4-20 mA----- 25 PSI ----------------------12 mA
1 200-800 F------ 4-20 mA ------ _____F --------------- -----14 mA
2 0-1000 GPM------ 4-20 mA ------ 250 GPM----------------------__mA
3 100-300 PSI---- 3-15 PSI ------ _____PSI ------------------ 6 PSI

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: try linear interpolation.

Hi buddylee. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

buddylee said:
Convert the following to find the missing factors in the items below.

Process Range-----Output Signal-----Current Process Reading--Current Signal Reading

200-800 F------ 4-20 mA ------ _____F --------------- -----14 mA

Can you explain what you think the question is asking you to do here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread closed for Moderation...

As a scientist, it is important to have a clear understanding of the variables and units involved in a process. In order to find the missing factors in the items provided, you will need to use basic algebraic equations.

In the first example, we are given the process range of 0-50 PSIG and the current process reading of 25 PSI. We also know that the output signal is 4-20 mA and the current signal reading is 12 mA. Based on this information, we can set up the following equation:

(25 PSI - 0 PSIG) / (50 PSIG - 0 PSIG) = (12 mA - 4 mA) / (20 mA - 4 mA)

Solving for the missing factor, we get:

(25 PSI - 0 PSIG) / (50 PSIG - 0 PSIG) = (12 mA - 4 mA) / (20 mA - 4 mA)
25 PSI / 50 PSIG = 8 mA / 16 mA
25 PSI / 50 PSIG = 1/2
25 PSI = (1/2) x 50 PSIG
25 PSI = 25 PSIG

Therefore, the missing factor in this example is 25 PSI.

Using the same approach, we can solve for the missing factors in the other examples:

Example 1:
(_____F - 200 F) / (800 F - 200 F) = (14 mA - 4 mA) / (20 mA - 4 mA)
(_____F - 200 F) / (800 F - 200 F) = (14 mA - 4 mA) / (20 mA - 4 mA)
600 F / 600 F = 10 mA / 16 mA
600 F / 600 F = 5/8
600 F = (5/8) x 600 F
600 F = 375 F

Therefore, the missing factor in this example is 375 F.

Example 2:
(250 GPM - 0 GPM) / (1000 GPM - 0 GPM) = (_____mA - 4 mA) / (20 mA - 4 mA)
(250 GPM - 0 GPM) / (1000 GPM - 0 GPM) = (

Related to How Do You Calculate Missing Factors in Process Calibration?

1. How do I approach understanding a new concept or topic?

The first step in understanding a new concept or topic is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying the main ideas and key terms, and then work through each one individually, making sure to understand each before moving on to the next. It can also be helpful to make connections to previous knowledge or real-world examples.

2. What resources can I use to help me understand a difficult concept?

There are many resources available to help you understand difficult concepts, including textbooks, online articles and tutorials, videos, and even asking a knowledgeable friend or teacher for help. It can also be helpful to engage in active learning techniques, such as taking notes, summarizing the information, or teaching it to someone else.

3. How can I improve my critical thinking skills to better understand complex ideas?

Critical thinking skills can be developed through practice and reflection. It involves questioning and analyzing information, evaluating evidence and arguments, and making connections between different ideas. To improve your critical thinking skills, try to approach new information with an open and curious mindset, and always question the validity and reliability of sources.

4. What should I do if I am still struggling to understand something after trying different approaches?

If you are still having trouble understanding a concept after trying different approaches, it can be helpful to seek out additional resources or ask for help from a teacher or tutor. Sometimes a different perspective or explanation can make all the difference. It is also important to not get discouraged and to keep trying; understanding complex ideas takes time and effort.

5. Is it important to understand every small detail of a topic?

It is not necessary to understand every small detail of a topic, but it is important to have a solid understanding of the main ideas and key concepts. It can also be helpful to have a general understanding of the smaller details, as they can often provide context and support for the main ideas. However, don't get bogged down in trying to remember every single detail; focus on understanding the bigger picture.