How Do You Calculate Normal Force with Angles and No Friction?

In summary, to find the normal force in terms of g, m, θ and α for a body in equilibrium with no friction, the forces must balance out in both directions. This can be achieved by using the equation Fnet=0 and balancing FA at an angle α with FA*cos(α) and FA*sin(α).
hsphysics2

Homework Statement

Find the normal force in terms of g, m, θ and α. There is no friction. a=0, θ≠α

See first attachment for diagram

Homework Equations

Fx=max

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free body diagram including the forces; normal, mg, and |FA| (See second attachment) I'm not sure if this is complete as I don't know where α would be part of it.

However I did start with this,

η-mgcosθ=0
η=mgcosθ
mg=η/cosθ (eq'n 1)

Fx=max
|FA|-mgsinθ=max (sub eq'n 1 in)
|FA|-(η/cosθ)sinθ=max
|FA|-(ηsinθ/cosθ)=max

Attachments

• 2013-10-08 00.46.18.jpg
    2013-10-08 00.46.18.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 406
  • 2013-10-08 00.54.53.jpg
    2013-10-08 00.54.53.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 369
Physics news on Phys.org
hsphysics2 said:

Homework Statement

Find the normal force in terms of g, m, θ and α. There is no friction. a=0, θ≠α

See first attachment for diagram

Homework Equations

Fx=max

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free body diagram including the forces; normal, mg, and |FA| (See second attachment) I'm not sure if this is complete as I don't know where α would be part of it.

However I did start with this,

η-mgcosθ=0
η=mgcosθ
mg=η/cosθ (eq'n 1)

Fx=max
|FA|-mgsinθ=max (sub eq'n 1 in)
|FA|-(η/cosθ)sinθ=max
|FA|-(ηsinθ/cosθ)=max

look at the given information carefully. It tells you that acceleration, a=0, that is the body is in equilibrium so all the force balance out.
So essentially Fnet=0

Balance out forces in both directions. And remember that FA acts at an angle α (alpha), so appropriately use FA*cos(α) or FA*sin(α) and balance out the forces.

I hope it helps

Likes 1 person

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Normal Force with Angles and No Friction?

Question 1: What is dynamics?

Dynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and the forces that cause them to move.

Question 2: What is meant by "no friction" in dynamics?

"No friction" means that there is no resistance or force acting against the motion of an object, resulting in a smooth and uninterrupted movement.

Question 3: How does the absence of friction affect the motion of an object?

The absence of friction allows an object to maintain a constant velocity and continue moving without slowing down or coming to a stop. This is because there is no external force acting against the object's motion.

Question 4: Can an object experience dynamics with no friction in real-life scenarios?

In theory, an object can experience dynamics with no friction. However, in real-life scenarios, it is nearly impossible to completely eliminate friction, as it is a natural force that occurs in all interactions between objects.

Question 5: What are some examples of situations where dynamics with no friction is relevant?

Some examples of situations where dynamics with no friction is relevant include the motion of objects in outer space, such as satellites and planets, and the motion of objects on a perfectly smooth surface, such as an air hockey table or a water slide.

Back