How Do You Calculate Osmotic Pressure for a Molecular Solution?

In summary, osmotic pressure is the pressure needed to prevent the flow of water across a semipermeable membrane in a solution. It is calculated using π = iMRT, where π is the osmotic pressure, i is the van't Hoff factor, M is the molarity, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. Factors such as solute concentration, temperature, and membrane permeability affect osmotic pressure. In biological systems, osmotic pressure is important for maintaining fluid balance, while in industrial processes, it is used for water purification, food preservation, and production of chemicals.
23scadoo
So i have a Chem test tomorrow and out of all the questions on the review this is the only one that i have left. So here it is:

A 1.0g sample of a molecular compound having a molecular weight of 100,000g/mol is dissolved in 100g of water. Calculate the osmotic pressure of the solution in torr at a temperature of 27deg C. (aaume the volume of the solution is 100mL.)

I know that the answer is 1.9torr

Any one up to the challenge?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmotic_pressure"
That link should answer your question

Last edited by a moderator:

I am happy to help you with this question. Osmotic pressure is a measure of the pressure required to prevent the flow of water across a semipermeable membrane. It is dependent on the concentration of solutes in a solution, as well as the temperature.

To calculate osmotic pressure, we use the equation π = iMRT, where π is the osmotic pressure, i is the van't Hoff factor (which represents the number of particles into which the solute dissociates), M is the molarity of the solution, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

In this case, we have a 1.0g sample of a molecular compound with a molecular weight of 100,000g/mol dissolved in 100g of water. This gives us a molarity of 1.0g/100,000g/mol = 0.00001M. Since the volume of the solution is given as 100mL, we can convert this to liters by dividing by 1000, giving us a volume of 0.1L.

Next, we need to calculate the van't Hoff factor. Since this is a molecular compound, it does not dissociate into ions in solution, so the van't Hoff factor is 1.

We also need to convert the temperature to Kelvin, which is 27 + 273 = 300K.

Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

π = (1)(0.00001M)(0.0821 L atm/mol K)(300K) = 0.00246 atm

To convert to torr, we multiply by 760, giving us an osmotic pressure of 1.9 torr, as you correctly calculated.

I hope this helps with your test preparation. Good luck!

Related to How Do You Calculate Osmotic Pressure for a Molecular Solution?

1. What is osmotic pressure?

Osmotic pressure is the pressure that must be applied to a solution to prevent the flow of water across a semipermeable membrane. It is a measure of the concentration of the solutes in the solution.

2. How is osmotic pressure calculated?

Osmotic pressure is calculated using the equation π = iMRT, where π is the osmotic pressure, i is the van't Hoff factor (a measure of the number of particles per molecule), M is the molarity of the solution, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What are some factors that affect osmotic pressure?

The concentration of solutes, temperature, and the nature of the semipermeable membrane are all factors that affect osmotic pressure. Higher solute concentrations and lower temperatures result in higher osmotic pressure, while a more permeable membrane will result in lower osmotic pressure.

4. What is the significance of osmotic pressure in biological systems?

Osmotic pressure plays a crucial role in maintaining the balance of fluids in living organisms. It is responsible for processes such as osmosis, which is the movement of water across cell membranes, and helps regulate blood pressure and hydration levels.

5. How is osmotic pressure used in industrial processes?

Osmotic pressure is used in many industrial processes, such as reverse osmosis for water purification and desalination. It is also utilized in food preservation and the production of pharmaceuticals and other chemicals.