How Do You Calculate Particle Probability in a Quantum State?

In summary, the probability of a particle in the ground state being found between L/2 and 2L/3 is 30.44%. This can be determined by solving the integral ∫ψ(x)^2 dx = ∫2/L (sin(πx/L))^2 dx, which can be simplified using an integral table. The answer may differ from 30.44% if there are any errors in calculations.
Ayham

Homework Statement

What is the probability that a particle in the ground state will be found between L/2 and 2L/3?
im new guys so go easy :)

Homework Equations

∫ψ(x)^2 dx = ∫2/L (sin(πx/L))^2 dx
in attachment

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer should be 30.44%
i got 66.66% and sometimes a negative number
please show me the steps too :/

Attachments

• 209a02d8-7b22-68f9-247e-83438bd8335f.png
    209a02d8-7b22-68f9-247e-83438bd8335f.png
    672 bytes · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
So you have the integral:[tex]\int{\psi \psi^{*} dx} = \int^{\frac{L}{2}}_{\frac{2L}{3}}{\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin{\frac{n \pi x}{L}} \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin{\frac{n \pi x}{L}} dx} = \int^{\frac{L}{2}}_{\frac{2L}{3}}{\frac{2}{L} \sin^{2}{\frac{n \pi x}{L}} dx}[/tex] You can get the integral of sine squared from an integral table:[tex]\int{\sin^{2}{ax} dx} = \frac{x}{2} - \frac{\sin{2ax}}{4a}[/tex] Keep in mind that both [itex]\frac{x}{2}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\sin{2ax}}{4a}[/itex] are evaluated at the limits of integration.

Doing all of this I obtained 30% for the answer when I plugged in n = 1 (for the ground state).

You're probably just messing up the minus sign on one of the 4 terms that come about when you evaluate the [itex]\frac{x}{2} - \frac{\sin{2ax}}{4a}[/itex] term at the limits of integration. You 4 terms should be [tex]\int{\psi \psi^{*} dx} = \frac{2}{L} (\frac{L}{3} - \frac{L}{4} - \frac{\sin{(2\frac{n \pi}{L}\frac{2L}{3}})}{4 \frac{n \pi}{L}} + \frac{\sin{(2 \frac{n \pi}{L} \frac{L}{2}})}{4 \frac{n \pi}{L}})[/tex]

Edit*** After a 3rd check, when n = 1 the answer is indeed 30%. Looks like we are both susceptible to math errors on this one >_< (I had edited my post thinking the answer was 60% when I double checked my original answer...)

Last edited:
I love you :')

Related to How Do You Calculate Particle Probability in a Quantum State?

What is Schrodinger equation?

Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum system over time. It is named after the Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger who first derived it in 1926.

What is the purpose of Schrodinger equation?

The purpose of Schrodinger equation is to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain position or state at a given time. It is used to describe the wave function of a quantum system and predict its future state.

What are the key components of Schrodinger equation?

The key components of Schrodinger equation are the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system, and the wave function, which describes the state of the system at a given time.

What are the applications of Schrodinger equation?

Schrodinger equation has a wide range of applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems. It is also used in the development of new technologies such as quantum computing and cryptography.

How is Schrodinger equation solved?

Schrodinger equation can be solved analytically for simple systems, but for more complex systems, numerical methods are used. Some common methods for solving Schrodinger equation include the finite difference method, variational method, and perturbation theory.