How Do You Calculate Photon Detection Probabilities for Different Stars?

In summary: So the probability for x > μ is roughly 1/2. Can you express this roughly as a function of the σ of the normal distribution, the μ of the normal distribution and the μ of the Poisson distribution?In summary, we can use the normal distribution to approximate the Poisson distribution by considering its mean, μ, as the same as the Poisson mean, and the standard deviation, σ, as the square root of the mean. Therefore, the probability of detecting more than 1,230 photons in a one second observation from the second star is approximately 1/2.
Lynx1390
1. A 2.5m aperture telescope obverses a star through an R filter. Assume that there is no noise associated with the detection system. The CCD has a full well depth of 20,000 counts and a gain correction factor of 1.00000.
a. On average, the telescope detects 3 photons/sec from this star. What is the probability that it will detect less than three photons in an 1 second observation

I'm pretty sure I got this one, use the Poisson distribution as shown below.

P = (3^0e^(-3))/0! + (3^1e^(-3))/1! + (3^2e^(-3))/2! = 0.42

b. Another star is observed. On average, the telescope detects 1,230 photons/sec from this star. What is the probability that will detect more than 1,230 photons in anyone second observation?

It is this part I am a little unsure of, I know I need to use the normal distribution but not sure how to reach from it.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Lynx, and welcome to PF. Please use the template.

You want to approach the Poisson distribution by a normal distribution in the second case, which is reasonable. Do you know why ? And do you have an expression for the normal distribution ? It has a certain characteristic that makes answering b) a piece of cake...

The reason why I want to use the normal distribution is because I know with a larger mean Poisson 'turns' Gaussian. And from a quick look at the bell curve, the answer would be rounded to 1/2. I'm just not sure how to express it mathematically.

Don't look at the curve, look at the mathematical expression for the probability distribution function of the normal distribution. What is its value in x=μ-ε if its value in x=μ+ε is p0?

Ok, so the probability distribution function is -

P = 1/(σ√2∏)*e^(-1/2((x-μ))/σ)^2

But I'm not sure how to find the standard deviation with the information given? I know its a silly question but I don't understand how to figure it out?

Placing brackets in the right place is an art too. The square is inside the exponent, meaning the distribution is symmetrical around x = μ. Symmetrical means half of its area is on the side > μ. That's nice and that is the reason you want to look at the Poisson distribution as an almost Gauss distribution. Quite justifyable for μ = 1230.

Likes 1 person

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Photon Detection Probabilities for Different Stars?

1. What is photon detection statistics?

Photon detection statistics is a branch of science that deals with the analysis and interpretation of data obtained from the detection of photons, which are particles of light. It involves studying the properties and behavior of photons and using statistical methods to analyze the data obtained from their detection.

2. Why is photon detection statistics important?

Photon detection statistics is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of light at a fundamental level, which has many practical applications. For example, it is used in fields such as astronomy, quantum optics, and medical imaging to study and manipulate light for various purposes.

3. What are some common methods used in photon detection statistics?

There are several methods used in photon detection statistics, including single-photon counting, photon correlation spectroscopy, and time-correlated single photon counting. These methods involve detecting individual photons and analyzing their properties, such as intensity, wavelength, and arrival time, to gain insights into the behavior of light.

4. How does photon detection statistics relate to quantum mechanics?

Photon detection statistics is closely related to quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. This is because photons exhibit quantum behavior, such as wave-particle duality, and can only be fully understood through the principles of quantum mechanics.

5. What are some challenges in photon detection statistics?

One of the main challenges in photon detection statistics is dealing with low signal-to-noise ratios, which can make it difficult to accurately detect and analyze individual photons. Additionally, the fast-paced nature of photon detection requires advanced and sensitive equipment, making it a costly and technically demanding field of study.

Back