How Do You Calculate Photon Number Density in a Specific Wavelength Range?

In summary, the number density of photons in the sun's core for the region of wavelengths between 599 nm and 601 nm is given by Planck's blackbody formula and is constant. However, to get the number of photons per unit volume with these wavelengths, you need to approximate the energy of a photon and then divide by hc/v.
xdrgnh

Homework Statement

In Problem 1 find the number density of photons in the sun’s core for the region of wavelengths between 599 nm and 601 nm. In problem 1 temperature is given.

Homework Equations

Planck blackbody formula and number density= constant times T^3 where T is temperature.

The Attempt at a Solution

Everyone is telling me to use the constant times T^3 formula but that makes no sense in this problem. The constant times T^3 is only when all frequencies are integrated. However only a slice of frequency is considered. Is this question an error or something. A lot of questions and slides had errors in this class so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, you can't use that formula. You need to use Planck's distribution function for the energy per unit volume for radiation that has a wavelength between λ and λ + dλ. See equation 5 here: http://www.oocities.org/vhsatheeshkumar/ModernPhysics.pdf.

Then think about how you would use this to get the number of photons per unit volume with wavelengths in the specified range.

I know I got to integrate the wavelengths to get the energy density. However I'm having a problem finding a way to get from energy density to photon density. I know the energy of each photon is hc/(wavelength).

You won't need to integrate. Note that you are considering a range of wavelengths Δλ that is very small. So, to a very good approximation you can let dλ ≈ Δλ.

To go from energy density to photon number density, consider the approximate energy of anyone photon in the range of wavelengths that your are dealing with.

So once I apply the approximation and plug in 599nm with my dλ ≈ Δλ equaling 2nm I divide by hc/599nm

Yes, that should do it. (You could also use 600 nm as a good average wavelength in the interval you are working with, but it won't make much difference.)

Thanks a lot. I think what got me was that I never had a expression with df in it before where I did not integrate. I thought a infinitesimal was so small that you can't put a number on it. I knew I had to find the energy density and then divide by something. However because I thought I was was integrating from 601 nm to 599 nm and the wavelength was changing I didn't really have a hc/v to divide by and that got me hooked up for hours today.

Related to How Do You Calculate Photon Number Density in a Specific Wavelength Range?

1. What is number density of photons?

Number density of photons refers to the number of photons per unit volume in a given space or medium.

2. How is number density of photons measured?

Number density of photons can be measured using various techniques, including spectroscopy and photometry, which involve counting the number of photons passing through a specific area in a given time.

3. How does number density of photons affect light intensity?

The number density of photons directly affects the intensity of light. A higher number density of photons means a higher intensity of light, while a lower number density results in a lower intensity of light.

4. What factors can affect the number density of photons?

The number density of photons can be affected by factors such as the temperature and density of the medium, as well as the wavelength and energy of the photons themselves.

5. What are some practical applications of studying number density of photons?

Studying the number density of photons is important in various fields such as astrophysics, where it can help understand the behavior and properties of stars and galaxies. It is also useful in designing and optimizing optical devices such as lasers and photovoltaic cells.