How Do You Calculate Radiation Dose and Beam Current from Proton Exposure?

In summary, a worker accidentally exposes their hand to a uniform, parallel beam of 50-MeV protons with a fluence rate of 4.6×1010 protons cm–2 s–1 for 0.5 seconds. Using the Bethe formula, the estimated dose to the skin of the hand can be calculated. Additionally, if the beam covered an area of 2.7 cm2, the beam current can be determined. However, the mass energy-absorption coefficient is needed for a more accurate calculation.
xamy

Homework Statement

A worker inadvertently puts his hand at right angles into a uniform, parallel beam of 50-MeV protons with a fluence rate of 4.6×1010 protons cm–2 s–1. His hand was momentarily exposed for an estimated 0.5 s.

(a) Estimate the dose that the worker received to the skin of his hand.

(b) If the beam covered an area of 2.7 cm2, what was the beam current?

Homework Equations

D=energy fluence rate(mass energy-absorption coefficient)

The Attempt at a Solution

energy fluence rate=4.6×1010x0.5x500M
I don't have mass energy-absorption coefficient.

I don't think I am using the correct formula. I am clueless right now. I have tried a lot but couldn't find anything else. Need help

Physics news on Phys.org
The Bethe formula should give a good approximation.

Related to How Do You Calculate Radiation Dose and Beam Current from Proton Exposure?

1. How do you calculate dose and current?

The formula for calculating dose is: Dose = Current x Time. To calculate current, use the formula: Current = Dose / Time. Make sure to use consistent units (e.g. milliamps and seconds) for accuracy.

2. Why is it important to calculate dose and current?

Calculating dose and current is important in many scientific fields, such as medicine, physics, and chemistry. It helps determine the amount of a substance or energy that is being absorbed or delivered, which is crucial for understanding its effects and potential risks.

3. What units are typically used for dose and current?

The most commonly used unit for dose is the Gray (Gy), which measures the amount of energy absorbed by a substance or tissue. For current, the unit is usually the Ampere (A), which measures the amount of electric charge passing through a point in a circuit per unit time.

4. How do you convert between different units for dose and current?

To convert between units for dose, you can use the conversion factor of 1 Gy = 100 rad (radiation absorbed dose). For current, the conversion factor is 1 A = 1 coulomb per second. You can also use online conversion calculators or reference tables for more complex conversions.

5. Is there a maximum safe dose and current?

Yes, there are maximum safe limits for both dose and current. These limits vary depending on the type of substance or energy, as well as the individual's age, health, and exposure time. It is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations to avoid harmful effects from excessive doses or currents.