How Do You Calculate Relative Error in Mass Measurement?

In summary, the density of air in the room was measured as 1.00 kg/m3 ± 5%. The room has dimensions of 4 m × 5 m × 2 m, each measured with a relative error of 10%. Using the formula D = m/V, the mass of the air in the room was calculated to be 0.03 kg. To find the relative error for the mass, we add the relative errors for each quantity being multiplied, resulting in a relative error of 35%.
dewalken
Assume the density of air was measured as 1.00 kg/m3 ± 5%. The room has dimensions 4 m × 5 m × 2 m, each measured with 10% relative error. What is the mass of the air in the room? What is the relative error for the mass?

I think this is a very simple problem, and i found what the mass of the air would be, i just don't understand relative errors, so how do i find the relative error for the mass?

D = m/V D = 1.00 kg/m3 V = (4 m *5 m *2 m) = 40 m3
m = (1.00 kg/m3)/ (40 m3)
m = .025 kg → m = .03 kg

relative error: Is it something like 5%/ 10% ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you studied the rule for how to get the relative error when you multiply two quantities?

no, we didn't learn much about relative error at all.

Have a look at this page:

http://www.rit.edu/~uphysics/uncertainties/Uncertaintiespart2.html

I myself don't know that much about how to treat relative errors... but it seems like when you multiply quantities you add relative errors.

In your calculation there are 4 quantities being multiplied. density, length, width, height... so I'm guessing you just add the relative errors to get the relative error of the mass...

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Relative Error in Mass Measurement?

1. What is basic relative error?

Basic relative error is a measure of the accuracy of a measurement or calculation in relation to its true value. It is expressed as a percentage and is calculated by taking the absolute difference between the measured value and the true value, and dividing it by the true value.

2. How is basic relative error different from absolute error?

While absolute error gives the actual difference between the measured value and the true value, basic relative error provides a more meaningful comparison by taking into account the size of the true value. This allows for a better understanding of the accuracy of the measurement or calculation.

3. What are some common sources of error in basic relative error problems?

Some common sources of error in basic relative error problems include limitations of measuring instruments, human error in taking measurements, and rounding errors in calculations. It is important to identify and minimize these sources of error to ensure accurate results.

4. How is basic relative error used in scientific research?

Basic relative error is used to evaluate the accuracy and reliability of data in scientific research. It allows researchers to determine the level of uncertainty in their measurements and make informed decisions about the validity of their findings.

5. Can basic relative error be negative?

No, basic relative error cannot be negative. It is always expressed as a positive value and represents the magnitude of the error relative to the true value. A negative value would imply that the measured value is greater than the true value, which is not possible.

Back