How Do You Calculate Speed at the Center of Mass After a Collision?

In summary: What is the mass of each object? "I attempted to calculate it... but if someone could help me out? The masses were 500g and 500g."So, you're trying to find the center of mass for two objects that have collided. The first step is to find the radius of the collision. From there, you can use the equation for finding the center of mass. However, it would be helpful if you could provide more information about the collision, such as what happened and the mass of each object.
TaintedLove
Urgent Help Needed- Finding the speed at the centre of mass? Please help me :(

Hi, I was attempting to work through this question.
Anyways, I was working from a graph, so the radius 2.5 cm, the two of them collided, it was an inelastic collision as the two objects did part ways, so how do I find the centre of gravity?
I attempted to calculate it... but if someone could help me out? The masses were 500g and 500g.

So for x and y, would I do:
Xcg = (500)(0.025) + (500)(1.5)(0.025) / 1000 ?
Ycg = (500)(0.025) + (500)(0.025) / 100 ?

That's what I was thinking but I'm not entirely sure.

After this, I also have to find the momentum of the centre of gravity... so for that, I need the masses and the speed.

Even though the objects didn't stick together, would I add the masses when solving for the momentum at the centre of mass?

I was reading on the internet and it said: "The center of mass velocity of a system of particles is the average velocity of all the particles weighted relative to their mass"

but what I'm confused about is, do I add all the velocities... like the velocities of both the masses before and after the collision? So I'd have 4 velocities? But I'd only add the masses twice right? So it would be the velocities / 1000 g

Could someone really help me. Please.

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm sorry, this has accidentally been posted twice, I didn't notice it was going through because my internet was failing.

What? You really need to explain better.

"Anyways, I was working from a graph, so the radius 2.5 cm, the two of them collided, it was an inelastic collision as the two objects did part ways, so how do I find the centre of gravity?"

Can we see the graph? What radius is this? How did the objects collide?

Related to How Do You Calculate Speed at the Center of Mass After a Collision?

1. What is the definition of "speed at centre of mass?"

The speed at centre of mass is the velocity at which the centre of mass of an object is moving. It is a measure of the average speed of all the particles that make up the object.

2. How do you calculate the speed at centre of mass?

The speed at centre of mass can be calculated using the formula: v = d/t, where v is the speed, d is the distance travelled by the centre of mass, and t is the time taken.

3. Why is it important to find the speed at centre of mass?

Knowing the speed at centre of mass is important in understanding the overall motion of an object. It can also help in predicting the future motion and stability of the object.

4. What factors affect the speed at centre of mass?

The speed at centre of mass can be affected by the mass distribution and shape of the object, external forces acting on the object, and any changes in the object's velocity.

5. How is the speed at centre of mass different from the speed of an individual particle?

The speed at centre of mass is the average speed of all the particles making up the object, whereas the speed of an individual particle is its own instantaneous velocity. The speed at centre of mass takes into account the motion of all particles, while the speed of an individual particle only considers its own motion.